HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drop shot rig questions...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drop shot rig questions...

I want to try the drop shot rig for some crappie but not sure what to do once the rig hits bottom? I will be using artificial 2.5-3.5" minnows as bait. Do I just let it sit....? Reel it in slowly a few feet then pause a minute, repeat? Also, how many feet up from bottom do you usually set your bait? I know in the cold months the crappie go real deep.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, Same as anything else, try different approaches until you get bites...start off with it sitting still, current will move a good bait...if nothing bites, give it alittle movement, with twitches, etc...then let it sit.

I like the bottom bait 2 ft from the weight, then I add a second 18 inches up, to cover more water column...I have been catching fish equally on both.
    My setup differs from most that I use "hyper snaps and swivels" and light jig heads and swimmers...this way I can adjust this quickly if needed.

Good fishing
    Brent
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I drop shot a lot..in a vertical presentation, i keep my bait within a foot of the weight..if casting, i up that to 18" to 2', to compensate for line angle..maintaining bottom contact is key..to get bait action, jiggle the bait, while keeping line tight..also, check bass sites and u-tube videos for rigging options and how to tie hooks..i used split shot at first, but now use 'drop shot ' weights..the pencil type work well in weeds..HTH 5
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to drop-shot religiously before we knew it was called drop-shot. I would take a bronze #1 or #2 Aberdeen hook and tie a loop knot about 18 inches above a 1/2 oz bass casting sinker. I would take a small to medium minnow and hook it from the throat latch up thru the top of its head. I would position the boat at the shallow side of a drop off and cast to the deep side. Once it hit the bottom, I would either crawl or hop the rig up the drop, very much like one would fish a texas-rig plastic worm for bass. We caught several limits each fall and winter. Usually the colder, the better for us using this rig.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Wademac85, Tom 513, "D", shipahoy41 LIKED above post
    Thanks CoryA thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

i use two Aberdeen hooks also. i run a smaller hook on the bottom one with a 1'' Gulp minnow,
    and run a 2.5'' gulp minnow on the top hook.
    i use a little heavier weight, and move along slow with the trolling motor. the heavier weight keeps the
    line more vertical since i'm moving. once i find some fish i don't move...
    Thanks dannyr3_8 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

once i find the fish and what they want, (size & color) i switch to hooks that i soldered bait keepers to them.
    i can catch alot of fish without them taking a Gulp minnow off. actually the only way to get the bait off is sliding it towards the line, and tearing it apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes z520tom, crappienapper, shipahoy41 LIKED above post
    Thanks JD1 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just try to feel that sinker touch bottom.Then I try just dropping the tip and snap it back just enough to make the bait move but not move the sinker.Then hold it still for a while and then repeat. Then if nothing I move it a little and then repeat the whole thing. I work it down rock ledges and bottom contour changes,and even drop it down into wood structure.Many times I also cast it and just work it along feeling that sinker just tapping along the bottom or structure.Weedless jigs or circle hooks work good for this along with a sinker that does not hang easy,or a heavy split shot that will just slip off the line if it gets hung fast. You never know what you'll catch. Tapping the structure will even trigger the fish to strike sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

doggone, your right, you said ''you never know what you'll catch''.
    got this beast while drop shotting crappie this fall on a #4 Aberdeen and 2.5'' Gulp minnow.

a good drop shot rod really lets you feel those lite bites, and get a quick hook set, special when fishing deep. i use fluorocarbon line.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naturenut View Post
    once i find the fish and what they want, (size & color) i switch to hooks that i soldered bait keepers to them.
    i can catch alot of fish without them taking a Gulp minnow off. actually the only way to get the bait off is sliding it towards the line, and tearing it apart.

Now that's ingenuity ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

ain't it though
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post

Now that's ingenuity ...

Rickie