Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the foot powered trolling motors that bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are the foot powered trolling motors that bad?

My boat has a foot controlled bow mount trolling motor. I'm starting to spider rig, long line and, pull cranks. I've read a few times that a foot controlled isn't ideal for this.
    Is this the general opinion around here? I don't want to my trolling motor holding up slab fishin'. I'd like to hear what type of trolling motors you guys are using.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You can use it but it will trap you on the front deck. The remote motors offer so many more gadgets that I have grown to love and refuse to be without such as cruise control and the ability to steer the boat from anywhere in the boat. I have buddies who are bass fishermen at heart who refuse to give up their foot-control motor. When the longlining and crankbait bite is on, they manage to get in my boat.

Lots of die-hard spider-riggers want the quick steering of a foot-control. I don't find my Terrova to be an issue spider-rigging.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes skeetbum, NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

correct me if i'm wrong but dont the remote motors offer more than 5 speeds? Which I can see being ideal.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJcrappie View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong but dont the remote motors offer more than 5 speeds? Which I can see being ideal.
    Yes. I had a V2Power Drive that had a variable speed but not cruise control. The Terrova I-pilot cruise control is an infinite variable and will compensate for wind, current, etc. to keep the speed setting you punch in.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes skeetbum, NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used anything but a foot-controlled motor for 30+ years. I love the freedom of both hands to land a fish, get unhung, and turn w/o using my hand. I can turn my boat around in slough or creek which is no wider than the length of may boat. When you used to one, it's like your brain in your feet.(My wife says my brain is somewhere else anyway!
    Likes NJcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had a foot controll previously. While spider rigging i didnt think there would be a big difference. I was able to do it efficiently unless......the wind was terrible. But when I started cranking.....I would almost say impossible for one man in the boat and having to do it all. Once I made the plunge on the ulterra I would not change it for the world. It is the only way to go when cranking, and made spider rigging so much easier. I didn't realize it would be that big of a difference on spider rigging. I have heard of people being dissatisfied with the electric steer trolling motors about them being too slow to respond with the foot cotroller that they come with. Well I am no pro, but I can tell a little difference in response time but not near enough to make me miss the cable steer. I bass fish with my ulterra all the time and I have NOT ONCE said...."Man I wish I still had my fortrex." This is my opinion and hope I helped ya some. Others may feel differently. Im not saying you NEED the ulterra. Any electric steering motor will make fishing much more easy for ya and make ya enjoy fishing so much more.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an auto pilot PD V2 and though it doesn't have some of the advanced features of the Terrova it does free me up to move around and land fish and reset rods and so on. It also has the co-pilot which is a smaller remote around the neck and while the settings aren't infinite like it's cousin, it has done a fine job for me for the past 4 years. If I had it to do again I would have a Terrova in it's place. I bought the salt water riptide version because of the sealed circuit boards and some resounding references from a couple of guides that had them in service for a long time with no issues. I also don't regret spending those extra dollars as mine has been trouble free.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll be buying a new trolling motor. Do I dare ask what model is preferred?

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned something that others didn't key on. You are correct in your statement that the remote controlled models have way more than 5 speed settings. It really helps dial your speed down as slow or as fast as you would like to go. For jigging, I would rather have a foot controlled model for quick and precise movements, but then again, I jig all the time and don't have an issue with my remote either.

Depends on the boat you have as far as what you should get. If you have a smaller boat (14 to 16 foot) I would go with a Minnkota Powerdrive V2 with I-Pilot. Co-pilot is okay but doesn't offer the main features you will be looking for (navigation).
    If you have a bigger or deeper boat, go with a 24v system. Most of us use the 80lb Terrova but their new Ulterra has some pretty cool features.

My best advice: Regardless of what you buy, make sure you get one with a built in transducer. It is the only part on the motor you cannot upgrade. I see way too many people with transducers strapped to the motor. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Brian over at BBGMarine.com has the best prices and shipping I can find online and he is top notch to deal with. He is a member sponsor on this site.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post

My best advice: Regardless of what you buy, make sure you get one with a built in transducer. It is the only part on the motor you cannot upgrade. I see way too many people with transducers strapped to the motor. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Brian over at BBGMarine.com has the best prices and shipping I can find online and he is top notch to deal with. He is a member sponsor on this site.
    You have to keep in mind the US2 transducer is strictly for 2D sonar. It doesn't work for down-image or side image. That is why a lot of folks have transducers hanging from US2 motors.
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes "G", chaunc LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast