Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prefered way to shore fish for crappie?

basketbreaker Guest

Default Prefered way to shore fish for crappie?

Whats everyones prefered way to shore fish for crappie?

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows under a float.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Preferred way .... for me ..

Quote Originally Posted by basketbreaker

Thanks,
    Mike
    IF and WHEN ... I fish for Crappie, from shore: same way I fish for them from a boat :p -- 1/16oz weedless jighead, 1.5" tube/grub, casting over submerged timber. Generally speaking, I've only done this a few times, during warming trends in the Winter, cooling spells in the Fall, and rising water/water temps times in the very early Spring (all when the Crappie are most likely to be in close to the bank). It always depends on the weather, and the makeup of the lake. Steep dropoff banks, and rock cliff banks (with submerged timber) in Winter and early Spring --- shallower, weedy & woody flats in the Fall, seems to be a key factor in the lakes I shore fish. ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Slip float and 2 1/32 oz jigs is my normal why to fish from the bank. If there are a lot of stick ups close tothe shore I'll cast a jig.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

1/32oz jig with weighted cork, BnM float and fly rod is specially made for this type of fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If i'm fishing in close to blowdowns, i use a small cork and 1/32 jig. If i have to cast way out, 25 to 40 yds from shore, i use a slip bobber and minnow setup. If the bite is fast, i'll change from minnow to a 1/16 jig.

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basketbreaker

Thanks,
    Mike
    When their biting.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default shore fishing

When i'm shore fishing i use a slip float and #2 long shank hook. I also cast with two 1/32oz jigs with either tubes or assassins.

I try to find a point or a bend a fish those areas first, also when fishing from the rocks i look for i guess they would be called eddies ot coves normally around boat ramps.

Its work so far.
    Love, what more can I say

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah a question I can finally answer as I am a shore fisherman myself. I like to do a few different methods for shorefishing crappies. On method would be dock fishing. I like to take a 5'0 UL to L rod and put a split shot on the line with a minnow and just deadstick it right over the edge. Crappies will hang out at docks all through the year but I have most of my luck in late spring to early fall. When using this method you should drop the line down to a few feet above bottom and raise it up every 10-15 mins until you find the depth they are holding. Another method I like to use is to use a slip float. I like to use a slip float around logs and weed beds. Also try under over hanging trees that arent in the water but are making shade. A minnow works good but sometimes a minnow and a jig is better. Try just jigs like tubes, curly tails, hair jigs, feather jigs all under a slip float. Again change the depth around until you find the right depth. I like to use a 6'6" rod for when there is trees on the shore. If it is just brush and little trees take along a 7-10' rod. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 oz jig in pink or chartreuse with a soft plastic micro shad. Just walking along and casting to likely spots while varying the depths and speed at which I retrieve.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast