Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fighting the wind

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fighting the wind

Spent the day being blown across a relatively shallow-water lake here in central Florda. Solid 20knots. I bought a sea anchor which brought my drift speed to about .8 knots. Pulling 1/16 oz road runners and jigs.

Caught some but curious if anyone had any advice for fishing these kind of conditions?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say you understand the problem and solution. I couldn't have done any better. If it has produced for me in the past, I run upwind and tool around there cuz it's always easier to go home down wind. Now wind the wind trades around that doesn't help much. Knowing how the lakes lay in relation to the direction of the wind you can sometimes hide a bit also. Most of us have a threshold that we say enough is enough when it gets too windy. Knowing that will keep you safe. Welcome from Orange City.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...I was on Lake Monroe. I didn't know if heavier jigs to keep the lines more vertical would help or if the bigger jigs may hinder the bite.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry heads up to 3/8oz but generally use 1/8 or less. 1/16 is usually on the end of my line. 1/32 if I have a weight to keep it down or trolling slower. I think color choice is as important as weight. Glad you had fun. Check out the Florida forum, lots of us fish Monroe.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, will do.

Post Thanks / Like

like said, you seem to have it under control. we used to use, basically a drop shot rig(before the "drop shot" rig), to keep lines more vertical when drifting heavy wind. it started with those old wire spreader rigs.

Post Thanks / Like

drag chains
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.