Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling cranks with Southern Crappie Rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling cranks with Southern Crappie Rods?

I'm in the market to upgrade my rods and need some advice. While I realize no single rod can do EVERYTHING, I'm looking for a good "overall" rod that can be used for a couple different types of fishing. I usually longline cranks and occasionally jigs, but have recently tried my hand at spider rigging. I've been seriously mulling over buying some Southern Crappie Rods, mainly because they're supposed to be a great choice for strength vs. sensitivity (especially for spider rigging situations). My only question is if they can hold up to pulling 300 Bandits at 1.5+ mph? Or maybe I would be better off going with something like the BnM Pro Staff Trolling rod? Or maybe another rod I'm not familiar with? And advice or suggestions??

Post Thanks / Like

I really like my pst's for pulling cranks. They are 16' and do a good job pulling cranks. I bought some firecast rods for my shorter rods and they do a fine job also.
    Likes novorandall LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have PST's and 2 sets of Southern Crappie. For pulling cranks and occasional spider rigging would go with the PST. Southern's are great tough rod but designed for 1/2 oz weight specifically for spider riging.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes novorandall, yikess LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I used my 14 foot Southern Crappie rods in my line up this summer pulling cranks and they did fine, they bend some but handle a fish well.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I run 12 and 14" Southern Crappie rods next to a 16" Capps and Coleman and the bend is exactly the same. I run a lot of BIG cranks, much bigger than 300 Bandits, and the Southern rods handle them well. Bend in the rod doesn't affect the action of the bait.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes Clint, novorandall LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What mrdux said. I also pull cranks with 14' Southern Crappie rods and they do great. They work well long lining jigs as well but I ain't never spider rigged so I don't know about that.
    Set da hook

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My rods are 12, 14 and 16 FEET long. Used inch instead of foot in original reply.

I have Southern Crappie rods from 6 thru 14 foot.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Well as I was JUST about to buy some PST poles, I think you guys may have talked me into the Southern Crappies. I've heard too much good stuff about those, so I'm wanting some bad anyway. Don't think you can go wrong with either! Thanks so much for the good advice! I LOVE this site!!

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Never having owned any southern crappie rods I can't speak for them at all. I have BnM BGJP's and do everything you spoke of with them. 300 Bandits and 255's that I hand paint, jigs and spider rig is all done with mine. For trolling cranks I have to say that the longest ones I have are 12' so I can't speak of the longer versions either. I will say that the stiffer Wally Marshall rods I have lose more fish than any of the other softer action rods. That said, some flex is a plus in keeping fish buttoned up. My spread for pulling 12's, 10's, 8's and some stiffer 6' rods which I also separate by varying the length of line out. Works good for me, get an occasional tangle but the spread and the rods work good for me.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

When you talk to Ed..Ask him about the new trolling rod he is coming out with. You might really like them
    Likes excited4711 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast