Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice fishing, what's that?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice fishing, what's that?

Just when the lake was starting to get a decent layer of ice they decided to finish work on the dam so now they are raising the water level back up so the ice is already breaking up. It looks like no ice fishing on Ross Lake in Beaverton. On the other hand they are really starting to fish on most of the lakes anywhere north of here, especially the smaller semi shallow lakes. In the Grayling area the small lakes are giving up some gills whereas Lake Margarethe is producing a few walleye and pike but hey have only been on Margarethe for a couple days. Houghton Lake is now being fished by a few daring anglers but I have not received any good reports yet. Cadillac area is really being fished a producing some nice specks and gills on both Cadillac and Mitchell.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Got out yesterday on an Oakland co lake. 3-3.5 inches of soild ice . Not that productive of an afternoon though. 3 decent perch iced and 2 mid 20 in walleyes lost at the hole.
    Most lakes should be safe now but As always procede with caution.

Post Thanks / Like

i got out on monday and fished a couple lakes around lansing. ran into the DNR and he said there were a couple people on sleepy hollow. no one catching anything though. would this be considered first ice or last with it comming so late in the year?

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we will get a heat wave next week then fish should really be biting considering it will be first ice and last ice all in one. I guess up here in the north we will not have to worry about too much ice causing lack of oxygen and winter kill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus
    Maybe we will get a heat wave next week then fish should really be biting considering it will be first ice and last ice all in one. I guess up here in the north we will not have to worry about too much ice causing lack of oxygen and winter kill.
    Your still unable to find good ice ?? down here in the oakland co. area most of the lakes are fishable. sorry to hear that

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the lakes are holding about 3-6 inches now so they are safe. The impoundments are still kind of iffy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabsrus
    Most of the lakes are holding about 3-6 inches now so they are safe. The impoundments are still kind of iffy.
    My da lives 30 miles north of Grand rapids and he was out on 3" of ice the other day. He said the fish by him are still a little confused and won't bite to well. I worry about the old man becaue he never tells anyone when he leaves and he goes alone 90% of the time.
    NEED MORE COWBELL!!
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

went out Wednesday and caught a couple dozen slabs just west of Clare on my cousins 17 acre pond. They were six inchers and smaller but it was fun none the less. We also landed one 29 inch pike and a 16 inch large mouth.