Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Riggin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Riggin

I need 4 rods for Rigging, should I go with pro staff trolling rods or bgjp?? Would the bgjp be good for 3/8-1/2-3/4-1 oz??

Post Thanks / Like

I am fairly new to this rigging thing but of the three or four brands of rods I have used so far. Southern Crappie Rods in 14ft have performed the best overall. I like the bgjp but if you lift a fairly good sized crappie above the water have extra tips handy we have broke a few. But its kind of like vehicles everyone prefers what they prefer. What I like about the SCRs is the extra eyelets, good sensitivity, and can handle a good sized fish without a net.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Second on the southern crappie rods. Best rods I have owned. But if your only choice is between the other 2 I would go with the PST. Have a set of the 12's and they are good rods especially with heavier weight. BGJP tip is to light for much weight.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Glad this topic has come up I've been trying to make up my mind on the southern pro in a 12 or 14ft still haven't made up my mind

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The BGJP will be good up to 1/2 oz and the PST's are best from 1/2 oz on up to 2 oz or better. If trolling slow with minnow rigs the BGJP's are the way to go. If you plan on pushing jigs or even cranks the PST's are a much better option. The Capps and Coleman rods are in between the other two rods and maybe a bit closer to the BGJP. I have been running Pro Anglers for a few years now and really like them. I can run down to 3/8 oz and still get the bend in the tip section I like and have ran up to 1 oz when pushing jigs at .6-1.2 mph. I have been testing out some Ozark 14' prototypes this fall that remind me of the Capps and Coleman rods. They are making a few changes to the handle and adding some Chart. lines every 2 ft for marking depths. There are a ton of rods out there for different types of "trolling". In my opinion there is not a "one rod" that will do it all if you want the best you can get for each application. I will be running three different sets of rods next year to be able to get the most out of them depending on what I am doing.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tink2432 View Post
    Glad this topic has come up I've been trying to make up my mind on the southern pro in a 12 or 14ft still haven't made up my mind
    Go with the 14's. Always used 12's and glad I got the 14's. Just got a set of the 16's but have not tried them yet.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979