PDA

View Full Version : Crappie Magnet Under A Float

kla911
11-28-2015, 05:55 PM
How to use a Crappie Magnet Jig under a slip cork? Any help would be appreciated. I watched a man on the bank using a small grub catching crappies. He said he thought he was about 7 ft deep, because he was using a 9ft pole. Been reading about jigs under a slip cork, trying different depths till you find them. Reel jig slowly in or just move it a little and let it sit? Seems like more crappies are being caught on jigs right now rather than minnows. I will keep trying! Kenny

Yaker
11-28-2015, 06:19 PM
While I'm not a crappie / trout Magnet fan,I do use jigs tipped with more active plastics,mealworms,and other live baits under a float depending on what species I'm fishing for.I use the slip float technique most often,letting the wind move the float which activates the jig .If the water is calm,I give the rod tip a few twitches while reeling in the slack.After several cast covering an area,I may adjust the depth ,hoping to locate fish.

Cmj
11-28-2015, 07:53 PM
Take it from the man himself! This video shows how to use the Crappie Magnet in all of it's applications. The float section starts at 3:42.

https://youtu.be/vYYXCIhY10o

deathb4disco
11-28-2015, 11:56 PM
I would not use the jig with a float unless the water was very cold or very shallow. IMO, a slow, steady retrieve works best in most situations.

Spiderman
11-29-2015, 09:08 AM
I use floats all the time fixed & slip corks, while fishing all kinds of soft plastics for crappie with a 1/16 oz jig. The advantage to me is that I always know exactly how deep I'm fishing and how deep that crappie was when he hit the jig. I can replicate the same cast over & over.

Now I'm fishing bamboo tops in 15' of water with a 12' B&M pole. Sometimes the crappie are 9' deep, sometimes on the bottom in 15'. Cork & jig weight are balanced so there is very little resistance when the crappie pulls the cork under. It's a very relaxing way to fish and not nearly as hard as allot of techniques.

Yaker
11-29-2015, 09:09 AM
I would not use the jig with a float unless the water was very cold or very shallow. IMO, a slow, steady retrieve works best in most situations.
I'm wondering why you wouldn't use a jig in warmer and deeper water? What do you consider shallow? . I'm not dissing you,just courious,I often catch crappie in 15-20' of water in the spring with a float and jig.While not my preferred method,I have good success .

trypman1
11-29-2015, 09:23 AM
It all works for me.

Spiderman
11-29-2015, 09:34 AM
When you think of Spider rigging (with is a very successful technique) one of the reasons it catches fish is because the jig is sitting pretty much still. Crappie want to examine their prey before inhaling it. Floats hold the jig perfectly still.

deathb4disco
11-29-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm wondering why you wouldn't use a jig in warmer and deeper water? .

I just don't think a float is necessary in those situations (and I love floats as much as I love jigs.). The countdown method has been working fine for me for the last 40 years.

deathb4disco
11-29-2015, 10:24 AM
What do you consider shallow?.

Five feet or less.

Yaker
11-29-2015, 01:10 PM
I don't alway use a float,,but at times I fish one pole with a float,and another with another style of rig.Im always interested in everyone's tecniques,fish on!

wannabe fisherman
11-30-2015, 08:59 AM
When you think of Spider rigging (with is a very successful technique) one of the reasons it catches fish is because the jig is sitting pretty much still. Crappie want to examine their prey before inhaling it. Floats hold the jig perfectly still.

not necessarily true, if there's any ripple or wave the float will move up and down causing the jig to jump around

Ketchn
11-30-2015, 12:54 PM
i use floats rather frequently off the bank . sometimes I use them from a boat as well . I don't care for slip floats though .
so it would be tough for me to give advice on a slip float .
I know lots of folks that use them though with fair to good results . and I know a few professionals use them as well .
the problem with a slip float is that many of the VERY subtle bites that crappie frequently do go unattended .
that and the fact that many times they don't "slip" right .
that said over a certain maximum depth if you want to use a float it will need to be a slip float .
and that depth would be around the length of whatever rod you are using at that time
best of luck ....

toomanycasts
11-30-2015, 03:53 PM
How to use a Crappie Magnet Jig under a slip cork? Any help would be appreciated. I watched a man on the bank using a small grub catching crappies. He said he thought he was about 7 ft deep, because he was using a 9ft pole. Been reading about jigs under a slip cork, trying different depths till you find them. Reel jig slowly in or just move it a little and let it sit? Seems like more crappies are being caught on jigs right now rather than minnows. I will keep trying! Kenny

I think using quality floats and the right size float for your jig are key. I like the thill pro series. It has a brass insert that allows your line to slip through quickly. Even the lightest jigs will pull the line through. I also set the hook on the slightest movement from the float. Sometimes the fish knock slack in the line, and the float just tips over. Slip floats also allow me to flip accurately to cover. Clip on floats won't allow that. If I'm fishing shallow stump flats it allows me to fish quickly. Spend the extra money on good floats, and retrieve them when you break off.

Machine
12-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Explain?

We use depth of 8 feet or so

Wear them out

One pattern is 6 foot in standing timber in 50 ft of water. Let cork drift by snag

deathb4disco
12-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Explain?

See post #9.

Machine
12-02-2015, 01:45 PM
See post #9.
At times I catch more corking

Hang up less

If fish are slow I like it

Alphahawk
12-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Jeff's video pretty much covers it all. I will use a float if it is a lot of wind....otherwise I count down and twitch it back to me. A fellow Trout Magnet Pro Staffer fishes the Crappie Magnet under the float pretty much exclusively.....mostly dead sticking. When I say he is good at it is an understatement. He made...the last count I had.....154 consecutive crappie trips and limited out each time. That's pretty darn good in my book.

Regards