HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Magnet Under A Float

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Magnet Under A Float

How to use a Crappie Magnet Jig under a slip cork? Any help would be appreciated. I watched a man on the bank using a small grub catching crappies. He said he thought he was about 7 ft deep, because he was using a 9ft pole. Been reading about jigs under a slip cork, trying different depths till you find them. Reel jig slowly in or just move it a little and let it sit? Seems like more crappies are being caught on jigs right now rather than minnows. I will keep trying! Kenny
    Thanks Anchor Mouse thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm not a crappie / trout Magnet fan,I do use jigs tipped with more active plastics,mealworms,and other live baits under a float depending on what species I'm fishing for.I use the slip float technique most often,letting the wind move the float which activates the jig .If the water is calm,I give the rod tip a few twitches while reeling in the slack.After several cast covering an area,I may adjust the depth ,hoping to locate fish.
    Thanks Anchor Mouse thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Take it from the man himself! This video shows how to use the Crappie Magnet in all of it's applications. The float section starts at 3:42.

https://youtu.be/vYYXCIhY10o
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use the jig with a float unless the water was very cold or very shallow. IMO, a slow, steady retrieve works best in most situations.

Post Thanks / Like

I use floats all the time fixed & slip corks, while fishing all kinds of soft plastics for crappie with a 1/16 oz jig. The advantage to me is that I always know exactly how deep I'm fishing and how deep that crappie was when he hit the jig. I can replicate the same cast over & over.

Now I'm fishing bamboo tops in 15' of water with a 12' B&M pole. Sometimes the crappie are 9' deep, sometimes on the bottom in 15'. Cork & jig weight are balanced so there is very little resistance when the crappie pulls the cork under. It's a very relaxing way to fish and not nearly as hard as allot of techniques.
    Likes "G", Rammer1961 LIKED above post
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I would not use the jig with a float unless the water was very cold or very shallow. IMO, a slow, steady retrieve works best in most situations.
    I'm wondering why you wouldn't use a jig in warmer and deeper water? What do you consider shallow? . I'm not dissing you,just courious,I often catch crappie in 15-20' of water in the spring with a float and jig.While not my preferred method,I have good success .

Post Thanks / Like

It all works for me.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When you think of Spider rigging (with is a very successful technique) one of the reasons it catches fish is because the jig is sitting pretty much still. Crappie want to examine their prey before inhaling it. Floats hold the jig perfectly still.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    I'm wondering why you wouldn't use a jig in warmer and deeper water? .

I just don't think a float is necessary in those situations (and I love floats as much as I love jigs.). The countdown method has been working fine for me for the last 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    What do you consider shallow?.

Five feet or less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast