Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tilt/trim help

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default tilt/trim help

My trim motor has gave up the ghost. Best I can tell the motor is bad the brushes are heavily worn the up signal on remote is shorted out and the pump has leaked forever. It needs a complete rebuild. Gonna order a new motor and either order a o-ring kit or just send it out (we have a good hydraulics repair place that does all our work stuff) Is there a way to leave the trim unit off and still use the motor? I cant figure out a way to keep the motor locked in down position. Would it be crazy to wrap it with heavy gauge leader line. What am I missing? Any advice is welcome especially if its where you caught your fish

Post Thanks / Like

I would not want one locked down. Only thing would be reversing and motor titling up out water. That said not sure what motor you have and any other issues that may rise.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry meant to post motor 89 Johnson 50HP with a bad tilt unit it basically is in locked position. Good point on the reverse I never thought of the possibility of overextending that joint. The location I fish this time of year basically requires an idle because of low water and stumps. I only need a push with the motor to load.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 don't think you can run the motor with trim removed. You could run it like it is to load on trailer. There is a bleed screw on unit so you can trim up or down by hand to tilt motor up. Where is pump leaking? If cylinder is not leaking should be pretty simple fix with a couple of O rings. Motor should be easy change. Need to find if wiring is shorted or motor is the problem.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Billbob, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yeah the cylinder is leaking. I did manage to clean brushes and contacts up enough and I can run hardwire from the battery and motor does function now up and down. still only getting signal from down button and when hooked up through the remote even that dont push the motor down. I have swapped relays and the problem remains the same. Is there a possibility that one relay is still bad causing this goofy problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok i figured it out it is the switch. OMC part#395821. it showing obsolete Any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a used one from a repair shop.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    Maybe a used one from a repair shop.
    or boat salvage yard try IBoats e-bay there are a lot of options for old parts just finding them is the hard part
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

- iboats.com

This link should take you to a page for iboats to send them a email. Give them a description and part number. Maybe they can help.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my tilt and trim a couple of years ago. I got it from I-boats and it fit perfectly. They are the first one that I check with if I need something. They make sure you have the right part that you need. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast