Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Seasons

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Seasons

For a while now I have driven the roads of this country and watched the subtle changes fall brings. Life goes on and with it comes changes that are inevitable. Back in September I moved back south to where I came from 10 years ago. There are many advantages of being in Florida, but the disadvantages are lengthy too. Some things that I looked forward to will be missed. September always brought the corn and beans turning brown in the fields, almost unnoticed at first. But then the combines would start blocking the highways and the fields would go bare one by one as the harvest made it to the silo's. A side benefit of this is the Deer, some sporting the racks they have spent a few months growing are now mostly out of velvet and seen against the woodlines as the sun slides down each day, no longer able to hide behind the stalks. Springfield, Tennessee was one of the places I did lots of business and along about this time the Tobacco would start coming out of the fields and heading for the drying barns. All sealed up and smoking from the hardwood fires kept barely smoldering giving the smoke that seasons it so well, and sticks in your sinuses. And I can't forget the Maples. Best I remember these were the first to change their color and my favorites for their brilliance. The gold, orange and bright reds make it difficult to not be distracted by the sight of them in groups. I always referred to the hillsides as coming on fire as they change into their fall face. The temperature has now begun to drop, mostly at night and as we head to work in the morning. Long pants become the norm, flannels put up for the summer again appear, and the hint of pink in the cheeks of those that have been out for awhile. The fish start to make their changes to a different place of favor and become a challenge to find as the fronts come and go. The produce stands have had the pumpkins of Halloween come and go as October slides by and are starting to put up the signs saying that they thank everyone for their business and look forward to seeing them next year. But along with the move came a change in what I do every day. No longer do I roam several hundred miles a day. Home for dinner is an every day thing.
    As you can tell the fall season is my favorite. Here it is almost Thanksgiving and I haven't even dug out a winter jacket, not even a sweatshirt. I fished yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt and was there just after daylight. Leaves are still green with no hint of change, produce stands are still in full swing. Oranges dominate here where apples were the mainstay of the locals. Beachwear is seen more than flannel, flip flops instead of boots, tans instead of a hint of pink. If I was to say I didn't miss the changes as the hillsides develop their winter face I would be a liar. But there are family here to be thought of and enjoyed that make the whole thing worth it. The one thing Tennessee was lacking was family ties. With Thanksgiving around the corner I look forward to the first time in a long time to be surrounded by brothers, daughters, and granddaughters. Even the in-laws some fuss about are a welcome thing. I'm already thinking of all I need to remember when the blessing is said before the meal. I have so many that I don't want to forget any or be too longwinded. After all, folks be hungry.
    I write this with a sincere wish that this upcoming holiday be one to remember. I know it will be for me.
    God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. And go get some big, fat crappie as an early Christmas present.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Skeet,
    That was a good read. With our everyday hustle and bustle of work and life in general, we do overlook a lot of the beauty around us. We take so much for granted that we should be so thankful for. Seems with age this becomes a little more clear everyday.
    Happy thanksgiving to you and the family. I will think of you next time I'm at Woods catching the crappie. Duck season is just around the corner and our fishable water will shrink up with that.
    Enjoy the shorts and tees as we bundle up here in Tennessee!
    TerryD

Post Thanks / Like

Happy Thanksgiving Tim, hope you adjust well and treasure the time with your family my friend. Enjoyed your post very much, it's the simple things that make life worth the living. Here's a picture I took a month or so ago, kinda sums it up for me, just keep it simple, the Lord created plenty of entertainment.
    Name:  Baby Deer.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  34.1 KB
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent pic John. Should I get caught up in the hustle of the every day, enjoy all these upcoming Holidays. Our trip we spoke of is still wandering around in my head. One day......
    Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Well written Skeet, I enjoyed reading every word. I have pretty much lived in Louisiana my whole life, except for 4 years when I had the pleasure of serving Uncle Sam. A beautiful fall scene of colors always makes me smile. And I and my wife are thinking about moving to Tennessee. I would love to live where a colorful fall that last's a couple months exists. While we are still in the exploratory phase of our idea, it has become serious enough to have already talked to the kids and start looking for the right area. . Naturally, we have a few family issues to work out first, but we are into that. I hope to have them all up for a Thankgiving to enjoy the splendor someday. Wish me luck and blessings. Happy Thanksgiving. Danny
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Post Thanks / Like

I do wish you luck D. I won't go into details but I will say that it's good to rent for a year or so until you find out about the reality of what appears to be good. Enjoy those around you, The Lord only knows what opportunity may take them where you won't see them all the time. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Likes "D" LIKED above post

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Here it is almost Thanksgiving and I haven't even dug out a winter jacket, not even a sweatshirt. I fished yesterday in shorts and a t-shirt and was there just after daylight. I'm already thinking of all I need to remember when the blessing is said before the meal.
    I write this with a sincere wish that this upcoming holiday be one to remember. I know it will be for me.
    God Bless and Happy Thanksgiving everyone. And go get some big, fat crappie as an early Christmas present.
    Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving my friend.

Mike

Name:  Blessings.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  36.3 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Rees Guide LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and Joan. I don't know about you but, I felt like I had a brother move to Fl. We miss you up here in Tn.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sam. It's different not having a fishing partner a phone call away. And the britches and sleeves came out this morning too. 46 when I left the house. Made me want to go load the boat......

Post Thanks / Like

Good read Skeet !
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER