Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Time To Remember

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Time To Remember

I remember a time that was much simpler, not near like the modern times we find ourselves in now. Today we can not have one holiday without another one trying to take over, Halloween was an awesome time in the late sixties. An old sheet with a couple of eye holes cut in it and a ghost for Halloween was made, blue jeans and a holster with my favorite cap gun from the toy box and a make shift mask made of black construction paper and The Lone Ranger I became! We crawled in the back of the truck or let the gate down on the station wagon and off we went, neighbors were farther apart than most today so we spent the evening going from one house to another visiting with our neighbors. Lots of oooing and ahhing over the costumes that had been created by moma or “Honey”, what I lovingly called my grandmother.
    “Honey” was a special girl, so special that my Grandfather road his horse across a flooded Pearl River to see her one Saturday evening. In those days a young man did not spend the night at his girl’s house, just didn’t happen but on that night his soon-to-be father-in-law insisted he spend the night as there was no doubt that the river was over the bridge by the time he got ready to leave, “Granddaddy” never told him it was over the bridge when he crossed earlier that afternoon. “Honey” was a strong lady, she never backed down from anything and was beside “Granddaddy” every step of the way. She cooked like no one else could, best biscuits ever. If she cooked it you could count on how good it would be, just the way it was. We lost this sweet lady in the mid 80s to the terrible cancer but she had done her job, she had shown us all the way things should be and shown us all that through Jesus we would see her again one day.
    Now it seems that before Halloween is over that Christmas decorations and sales are starting, all about a dollar to be made. Commercializing holidays that used to be so important to family, what held us together no matter what. Thanksgiving is almost left out completely, at one time it was my favorite time of the year.
    Thanksgiving meant several things were fixing to happen; school would be out for the whole week, going to my grandparents and quail season would open. Quail season was always a big deal for us, it opened on Thanksgiving morning every year. “Honey” was always up early Thanksgiving morning and around 5 that morning everyone was up and stirring. “Honey” made biscuits, bacon, eggs, homemade jellies and always applesauce for breakfast. With breakfast over we were hurried out of her kitchen as she had lunch to fix and we had birds to kill. I couldn’t wait to be old enough to get to go, the dogs knew what day it was as we went out the backdoor with our shotguns in our hands they couldn’t wait to load up and we couldn’t wait to see that first point. If you have never hunted behind good bird dogs then you have missed a true treasure of the outdoor world. The point, another dog locking up backing the first, the talk of who’s dog found the birds, the covey rise, the shots, the retrieve and then the bragging on who killed what. These days were simple, very simple, but for those of us that are blessed enough to have encountered them they are memories we will always treasure.
    Thanksgiving also meant there would be a lunch that was always to die for. Dressing, cranberry sauce, turkey and always coconut pies, all cooked with love. As we set down and “Granddaddy” asked the blessing we all held hands, eyes closed and truly thankful for what was on the table, our family we were surrounded by and a Savior that was sent to die for us. It was THANKSGIVING!! This meal was almost always followed by a move to the “den” to watch TV, think we had 3 channels to choose from. While in the den the moaning and groaning of full bellies would start pretty quick along with the snoring shortly there after, what a day!
    How I long for a simpler time, not a rush but just enjoy and be thankful for what we have. As the Thanksgiving Holiday approaches I challenge myself and the ones who read this to slow down long enough to think of a time when things were simpler, be thankful for who and what you have, tell your friends and love ones you love them and give thanks to the Lord for the Son He sent to die for us. These things are the true meaning of Thanksgiving, not the hussle and bussle the modern world wants us to BUY into.
    Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

Well said John, thanks.
    Randy Andres
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Big chain stores push Christmas down our throats before Thanksgiving even has a chance to happen. Everyone need to tell them that each Holiday should be done before they start crammin the next one on us.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff
    Likes wannabe fisherman, SeaRay, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Amen

Post Thanks / Like

Amen John....Well said Brother

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone needs to boycott Black Friday. I do! I go fishing instead if I can.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes SeaRay, skeetbum, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I too grew up tbrough the 60's. Thanks for the reminder. God Bless

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that made me think about my grandparents and how fast time slips by

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

God Bless you John. That was a trip down a road that as you say is almost forgotten in this day and age. A well written piece that says so much of what those of us that remember when folks would stop by to see you because it was what was done, didn't need a reason. I was a city boy and didn't experience the season openers til I was grown. What I do remember is the gathering and the love and work and friendships that were in the kitchen when it was all being prepared. Thanks for your memories John. You do have a lot of good ones. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, I'll do my best to turn it down a notch.......Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Well said.... couldn't of put it any better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast