PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a weedless jighead.

Crappiehabits
11-20-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi guys. Just like the title says, I'm lookin for a weedless jighead recommendation. I'd like to buy from Someone on here. Thanks!

deathb4disco
11-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Crappie slider head from Charlie Brewer Slider Co.

They're a sponsor of the site.

Crappiehabits
11-20-2015, 11:04 AM
Crappie slider head from Charlie Brewer Slider Co.

They're a sponsor of the site.

I actually have some of those already, I'm looking for some with the bristle or wire type weed guard.

trypman1
11-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Grizzly Jigs

huntinslabs
11-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Don't know if any of our member sponsors make this type, but I really like these much better than the bristle type.
Quikset Weedless Crappie Jigheads | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear (http://www.basspro.com/Quikset-Weedless-Crappie-Jigheads/product/100720/)

ET Fish
11-20-2015, 11:46 AM
PM Grousefly.

Bartman
11-20-2015, 12:39 PM
Search for member "Nightprowler" and send him a message. He makes bristle guard and Y guard style with sickle hooks. The Y guards are the bomb and have changed the way I fish cover!!

Crappiehabits
11-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Search for member "Nightprowler" and send him a message. He makes bristle guard and Y guard style with sickle hooks. The Y guards are the bomb and have changed the way I fish cover!!

I really like those. Just sent him a message. Thanks!

Bartman
11-20-2015, 02:13 PM
I really like those. Just sent him a message. Thanks!

I highly recommend throwing them on 15# Power Pro Smooth or 10# Berkley Nanofil. Besides being able to detect the slightest bite, the no stretch will help collapse the guard on the hook set. The Y guards collapse much easier than the bristle type. I set the hook very hard using a 7' Vendetta ML rod. Just make sure your drag is set moderately light. You'll know your using the right jig when you set the hook and you can feel the fish bouncing out of the cover.

Spiderman
11-20-2015, 11:05 PM
PM Grousefly.

He can make weedless Jigheads in the weight you want & the size hook you want. I have bought weedless Jigheads from him for years. Mostly 1/16oz with a #2 bronze hook.

CrappiePappy
11-21-2015, 02:19 AM
He can make weedless Jigheads in the weight you want & the size hook you want. I have bought weedless Jigheads from him for years. Mostly 1/16oz with a #2 bronze hook.

I concur, Grousefly can make weedless jigheads in about any form you can think of :ThumbsUp

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/50108_006_zps5e7a635e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/crappiepappy/media/50108_006_zps5e7a635e.jpg.html)

He's been making them for me for almost 15yrs, and I may have been the one that started him making the Y guard style. I've used the Y guard style weedless jighead for close to 15yrs, and with 4lb & 6lb mono on everything from micro light to light action rods & never had a problem securely sticking fish (even fish 30ft deep).

My preferred jighead is a 1/16oz ball head with #2 Aberdeen hook & a clear Y weed guard ... but I've also used and had success with black Y weed guards & #4 Aberdeen hooks, as well as the clear fiber brush style weed guards.

... cp :kewl

smoothlures
11-21-2015, 02:32 AM
I concur, Grousefly can make weedless jigheads in about any form you can think of :ThumbsUp

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/50108_006_zps5e7a635e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/crappiepappy/media/50108_006_zps5e7a635e.jpg.html)

He's been making them for me for almost 15yrs, and I may have been the one that started him making the Y guard style. I've used the Y guard style weedless jighead for close to 15yrs, and with 4lb & 6lb mono on everything from micro light to light action rods & never had a problem securely sticking fish (even fish 30ft deep).

My preferred jighead is a 1/16oz ball head with #2 Aberdeen hook & a clear Y weed guard ... but I've also used and had success with black Y weed guards & #4 Aberdeen hooks, as well as the clear fiber brush style weed guards.

How effective do you think the weed guards are for vertical jigging brush?

CrappiePappy
11-21-2015, 03:26 AM
How effective do you think the weed guards are for vertical jigging brush?

Just as effective as they are for cast & slow retrieve !! And more effective than a plain jighead, since you can drop the weedless jig right DOWN IN the brush and still expect to get the jig back out, without hanging up, over 95% of the time. IMHO

In fact, the last time I went fishing I vertical jigged at around 25' deep ... something I rarely do, but it was the "only way" to get bit at the time. Also .... My last trip to Tenn, last Fall, I found the fish to be at 25-30ft deep ... and in the tops of deadfalls. Vertical jigging was the only viable presentation then, too. In both cases, fish were caught and few jigs were lost to snagging. No fish were lost, once hooked, due to the weedguard (if that's your concern). And yes, you can snag a weedless jig ... but, it's a rare occurrence. Sometimes the jig can be pulled free, sometimes not.

I generally know (feel) when the jighead makes contact with a branch ... there's no "thump" and the rod tip bends down & stays that way. When that happens I drop the rod tip down about 6" and then lift the rod tip about 12" (all in one smooth motion). That usually causes the jighead to bounce over the limb ... whereas a steady pull usually just sinks the hook into the wood, since a slow/steady pull allows the jig to roll over, and the weight of the hook turns the jig upside down. Yanking on it (with the rod) isn't much better, and usually ends in a hung jig about 90% of the time.

They're called "weed-less" .... not "snag-less" ... for a reason. But, they are a whole lot more "snag-less" than an open hook jig.

PawPaw "gene"
11-22-2015, 09:06 AM
I just received my order from Grousefly and love them. I got 50 1/32 #2 sickle with brush guard and 50 with the "Y" guard. Both work great I have no personal preference except if I'm tying hair jigs with them, then I use the "Y" guard as it's easier to bend out the way while tying and then return it back to it's proper place.
"gene"

blue-jig
11-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Grousefly, ever made any 1/4 oz. weed less heads?

CrappiePappy
11-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Grousefly, ever made any 1/4 oz. weed less heads?

I'm sure he has, "blue-jig" ... he makes Bass lures, too. PM him for specifics.

Tom 513
11-23-2015, 07:00 AM
I also use Grouseflys weedless jigs with both fiber and Y guards, 50% of the time I cast and slow roll the jig back but still get hung occationally I am going to try this later this week......

I generally know (feel) when the jighead makes contact with a branch ... there's no "thump" and the rod tip bends down & stays that way. When that happens I drop the rod tip down about 6" and then lift the rod tip about 12" (all in one smooth motion). That usually causes the jighead to bounce over the limb ... whereas a steady pull usually just sinks the hook into the wood, since a slow/steady pull allows the jig to roll over, and the weight of the hook turns the jig upside down. Yanking on it (with the rod) isn't much better, and usually ends in a hung jig about 90% of the time.

They're called "weed-less" .... not "snag-less" ... for a reason. But, they are a whole lot more "snag-less" than an open hook jig.

Ranger690
11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
I've never used a jig with a weed guard. I toss a live minnow on a #6 gold hook under a slip cork into some wood. If I don't get bit, it gets hung and I have to straighten the hook with braid to get it back. Frustrating. I would love to be able to dip a jig down into some laydowns and have some chance of getting it back out. What would be best for me. We have tons of blown down trees on the river banks. Moving water makes it really hard to get into and out of. Will a Y guard allow me to drop it straight down and maybe get it back? Thanks,

CrappiePappy
11-24-2015, 12:36 AM
I've never used a jig with a weed guard. I toss a live minnow on a #6 gold hook under a slip cork into some wood. If I don't get bit, it gets hung and I have to straighten the hook with braid to get it back. Frustrating. I would love to be able to dip a jig down into some laydowns and have some chance of getting it back out. What would be best for me. We have tons of blown down trees on the river banks. Moving water makes it really hard to get into and out of. Will a Y guard allow me to drop it straight down and maybe get it back? Thanks,

Yes, Dayton .... it will most likely "come back" through the tree limbs a lot more often than an exposed hook. I've bent the #2 Aberdeen hooks on my Grousefly custom made weedless jigs, with 6lb Vicious Panfish copoly line ... and rarely give it a thought when the jig is hung on my outfit spooled with 10/2 PowerPro braid.

If you're just intent on tipping the jighead with a minner, you might want to start with a #4 bronze Aberdeen on it (unless you're using some seriously TINY minners :Rofl ) .... I did, back when I was using 4# test mono, and still bent the #4 hook open on quite a few occasions.

Bronson
11-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I agree with Crappiepappy on using a Y guard when fishing. I usually go with a 1/16 oz jighead because I can cast it farther. I used to use 1/32 some when crappie wanted a slower fall and I didn't have to cast too far. One tip you might consider using is if you hang up a limb, don't try to snatch it out because it will just bury the hook past the barb. Instead, raise your rod tip and jiggle it till it pops free. When it does, let it fall. That's when I used to catch some of my biggest crappie. They can't stand it. The Y guard will usually press against the crappie mouth helping to keep it hooked. I always opened my hook up a little and bent the Y guard where it was riding slightly above the hook.

If it's still stuck, put a swivel on a 1 oz. sinker and slide it down your line to knock it off. Now when you see everyone else fishing around brush, you can go in there and fish the heart of it. If this tells you anything, I used to buy from a guy who I made a deal with to make a bunch of jigs with Y guards for a buddy and me. He wouldn't honor his deal, so I quit buying anything from him. Bought all the stuff I need to make my own and never looked back. It was expensive but I never wanted to be without them again. If I had known some of the jig makers on here, I couldn't have saved a bunch of money. But it's turned into another hobby I enjoy.

Good luck, let us know how it goes. PS When tightlining, you might need to add some weight above the 1/16 or lighter jig with Y guard. You need to be able to feel the jig in the brush.

jeepguyjames
11-29-2015, 02:07 PM
I've used Grousefly and nightprowler for Weedless heads ....... Can't go wrong with either..... Both are reasonable , honest , and offer good quality