Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: More Crappie Videos

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Crappie Videos

I've really been enjoying watching Siscoken's crappie videos and I've run across some others. Click on each title under "Links":

http://ladredge.com/Gallery/Underwat...1/Default.aspx
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb What I find most interesting ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    I've really been enjoying watching Siscoken's crappie videos and I've run across some others. Click on each title under "Links":

http://ladredge.com/Gallery/Underwat...1/Default.aspx

about these videos ... is that none of the Crappie struck the jig when it was jumping up and down, but rather when it was almost motionless.
    Another interesting thing ... was the bait, which seemed to be a curly tail jig of some sort, or a grub on a jighead with another "article" added (nibble, live bait, ) --- and while it did eventually get bit, it didn't seem to have much action of its own (which may be why the angler had to "jiggle" it so much :D )
    OK ... I know these vid's are just part of an ad for the "Reel Weeds" .... and their purpose is to show that these "fake weeds" will draw Crappie ... but, I think they serve a greater purpose, in showing us how Crappie ease up to a bait, nip at it, and/or suck it in I wish they had shown some different presentations, and some different baits ... but, that wasn't the point of their efforts. Still, they were interesting .... thanks, Jerry !! ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

very cool . and your right, that curly tail sucked :p
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CP. Most people move their bait/jigs around too much. Crappies are more likely to hit a well positioned, stationary, but attractive bait, as in a bait that undulates on its own, or one that is moving very slowly and steadily. I noticed in sisc's vids that he moves his baits a little too much as well. If he dropped his baits slowly and let them sit motionless or barely rising or falling just above those slabs at the bottom he would have caught some of those nice ones that were just sitting there.

This guy has the advantage of seeing the fish closer to his bait and eventually these fish are striking because he places his bait in the fishes strike zone, not because of the movement. Notice that most of these fish hit when he finally stills his bait and gives them a chance to lock on and attack. This vid is the best example of where to locate the bait in the fishes strike zone.

http://ladredge.com/Portals/0/CCS%20action%204.wmv

Really great vids though, but as far as tactics are concerned I think it shows what not to do. With out seeing those fish that close he would have caught fewer of them.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 01-20-2007 at 05:25 AM.
    Good things come to those who bait.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Another idea .....

judging from the aformentioned videos .... and noticing the Crappie, in one video, scramble out of the way of the falling jig and then return to their previous positions --- would be to downsize the bait (slower fall) and use the Vertical Casting approach (instead of the "jiggling/jumping jig" approach).

I'd also like to know why the jig wasn't dropped down close to the camera :rolleyes: .... the fish didn't seem to mind the camera being near/under/behind them, anymore than they paid attention to the jig when it was below or behind them :p But, with a smaller/lighter jig dropped right down in front of the camera, and slowly reeled up ... the whole school would have a chance to see it, at some point in the ascent, and the camera would better capture the catching of the fish. It would also show the reaction of the school, during the fight/removal of that fish.

OK, that's all the "armchair quarterbacking" I'm going to do, in this thread. I don't mean to nitpick, but sincerely hope that some of the posted suggestions may help Siscoken, and others who may aspire to do similar videotaping, get more "action" on their films. It's great to see the fish in their environment, doing what comes naturally ... but, it would be more beneficial to us anglers, to see what happens when something "unnatural" is introduced to the situation (like a artificial bait slowly being worked thru the school, or the removal of a member of the group). And, yes ... I did notice that some fish were caught - from the top of the school - with little effect on the others. I'd like to see what happens when one of the deeper fish is caught and brought up fighting thru the school. Or see different sized baits dropped into the school, so as to be able to guage their reactions (if any) to one size or the other. ......... cp