Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why ? Hook size relation to head weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why ? Hook size relation to head weight.

I could have posted this in the jig makers forum but thought it would get read more and possibly help more if posted here:

It seems to me, generally speaking, that most mass produced jig heads increase/decrease hook size according to the weight of jig head and I'm curious as to why ? I generally choose my jig head weight dependant on the conditions I am fishing. How deep I am fishing and how windy it is usually having the greatest impact on my decision.

With that being said, I don't often change bait size, I'm still fishing the same lure or jig body, I only want to manipulate how fast/slow the bait falls. So I'm curious why jig head makers and manufactures, especially in the mass produced markets, feel it necessary to also change hook size.

Am I alone in wanting a product offered from 1/32 up to 1/8 with the same hook size on all 3 heads ?

Can someone help me understand what I'm missing and why this is the common/normal practice in jig head production ?

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you. I special order my jigs with no 2 hooks on 1/16,1/32 and 1/24. I find the littler hooks loose more fish in my opinion.
    Likes Minners N Jigs, Mike1234, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA S View Post
    I'm with you. I special order my jigs with no 2 hooks on 1/16,1/32 and 1/24. I find the littler hooks loose more fish in my opinion.
    That's one issue. Another is the aesthetic appearance of the offering... Can you picture a Southern Pro crappie stinger on "most" 1/8oz heads... It'd look horrendous with a monster #1 hook (or larger) running out it's rear. Especially if you weren't tipped up with a minner !

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 oz jigheads with a 1/0 sickle hook...of course, I don't use small plastics either!
    Keitech USA Pro Staff
    Likes Cray, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use mainly 6, 4 and 2's in my jigs. I also have bigger hooks for 1/8th and 1/4th but those have been poured for a long time. That's the main reason I pour my own as I can use whatever I want on my jigs.
    Likes Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I pour my 1/16 with a 1 and my 1/8 with a 1/0 or 2/0. Fish big plastics and generally tip with big minnow.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes theygotaeat, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minners N Jigs View Post
    I could have posted this in the jig makers forum but thought it would get read more and possibly help more if posted here:

It seems to me, generally speaking, that most mass produced jig heads increase/decrease hook size according to the weight of jig head and I'm curious as to why ? I generally choose my jig head weight dependant on the conditions I am fishing. How deep I am fishing and how windy it is usually having the greatest impact on my decision.

With that being said, I don't often change bait size, I'm still fishing the same lure or jig body, I only want to manipulate how fast/slow the bait falls. So I'm curious why jig head makers and manufactures, especially in the mass produced markets, feel it necessary to also change hook size.

Am I alone in wanting a product offered from 1/32 up to 1/8 with the same hook size on all 3 heads ?

Can someone help me understand what I'm missing and why this is the common/normal practice in jig head production ?
    You're not "missing" anything !! You correctly stated that it's the "mass production" markets that do this most often. Why ?? To appeal to the "masses" with the least amount of production cost. Can you imagine how many more molds would be needed to accommodate 3 or 4 different hook sizes for every different head weight ?? How much more packaging would be needed ??

Your best bet is to contact some of the many members that custom make jigs !! Then you dictate what size hook is used with what weight jighead, whether it's a painted head or not, the color of the hook, the style of the jighead, and the style of hook. That goes for plain jigheads, as well as tied jigs !!

I use Grousefly for my weedless jigheads ... and have him put a #2 Aberdeen hook in the 1/32oz & 1/16oz heads, which are the sizes I mostly use. And while I do have some that he made for me, that have #4 hooks in them (and work just fine) ... since I've started using larger/thicker plastics, I wanted a larger hook so as to keep a decent gap between the hook point & top of the plastic body.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    You're not "missing" anything !! You correctly stated that it's the "mass production" markets that do this most often. Why ?? To appeal to the "masses" with the least amount of production cost. Can you imagine how many more molds would be needed to accommodate 3 or 4 different hook sizes for every different head weight ?? How much more packaging would be needed ??

Your best bet is to contact some of the many members that custom make jigs !! Then you dictate what size hook is used with what weight jighead, whether it's a painted head or not, the color of the hook, the style of the jighead, and the style of hook. That goes for plain jigheads, as well as tied jigs !!

I use Grousefly for my weedless jigheads ... and have him put a #2 Aberdeen hook in the 1/32oz & 1/16oz heads, which are the sizes I mostly use. And while I do have some that he made for me, that have #4 hooks in them (and work just fine) ... since I've started using larger/thicker plastics, I wanted a larger hook so as to keep a decent gap between the hook point & top of the plastic body.

... cp
    I think you're exactly right as to the why it's done this way. I would think as picky as fishermen are, that the mass production companies would recognize the demand and could justify the additional and increased production. My guess is that they would find what is currently their "best sellers" is a result of limited offering and would not remain their best selling products. I'll have to do some checking and shopping with the custom guys. I've got a local guy that makes the 1/16 head that I use most often and love, but he, like the mass production companies alters the hook size when he changes weights and I can't understand why. Thanks Pappy !

Post Thanks / Like

I have jig heads in all different sizes and sometimes I need a small head with a decent size hook. When fishing in the spring I throw alot of 1/32 heads with a size 4 hook. The water I am fishing is not very deep and I need a very slow fall rate. I also fish a creek for white bass during the spring and sometimes those fish will only hit a small bait. The majority of the time I use a 1/16 head sometimes you need a custom made jig head to get the results you want.

Reggie

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy off the shelf myself but they don't always carry what I like . so I buy in bulk online the jig weights and hooks I like best . i love number 6 hooks for crappie in most cases . all my 1/16 and 1/32 are running number 6 hooks and when i buy hand ties i order the same .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast