Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New Battery questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Battery questions.

My past 2 boats the Cranking batteries has shared a space with the built in fuel tank. I'm lacking storage on this boat and was considering moving a group 27 cranking battery to directly above the tank in a void under the deck. Thoughts?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The "built-in" gas tank should have the gas cap & vent on the side gunnel of the boat, so I see no problem with having a battery "above" the tank. But, I'm no expert on this ... so I'd wait for confirmation from several other members, before taking my word on it.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm moving it just over and going to the middle. I'm also taking the rear livewell out for more storage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If that black smudge on the carpet in front of the battery (in your pic) is an air vent, then I don't know as I'd move the battery to a non-vented section of the boat, especially if you charge the batteries while they're still in the boat. Explosive gasses can be released when battery is being charged !!

Don't know as I'd consider putting the battery on top of the gas tank (in the center section) either ... simply because the weight or movement of the battery may damage the wires/hoses coming from the tank.

... cp
    Thanks chimneyman thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a vent, I intend to add an additional vent and it will not sit on top of the tank it will set above it. Although not my boat this is the exact setup I ran In the past...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

If you have room for the battery, and it won't put pressure against the wires or hoses, then that might work. Just be sure and have plenty of room ABOVE the battery terminals, or rubber caps over all of them, if the lid to that compartment is aluminum !! Friend of mine almost started a fire in his boat (Tracker) when he moved his battery into a storage compartment ... and the unshielded aluminum lid touched across the terminals

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Careful, careful, vent aplenty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!