Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rods for spider rigging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods for spider rigging

Need some in put on some 14 foot rods.always used 12 foot rods just started to use 14 foot.got some of the new Lews Wally Marshall troll tech rod they are nice.when the wind blows they don't shake around.but when no wind and a lite bite they seem to heavy.we fish a lot in Ohio with 1/2 oz.what rods do you guys like.

Post Thanks / Like

southern crappie,sensative tip ,not too heavy and tough
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    SW Ohio guy here who spider rigs a bunch, I run 4- 14ft Southern Crappie poles, they are reasonably priced and well built I too usually use 1/2oz egg sinkers also which puts a slight ark in them, they seem to be sensitive enough for me and I occationally catch large Channel cats when I push minnows, I can think of a 24" Cat this past Summer, which was big fun.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Set da hook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    SW Ohio guy here who spider rigs a bunch, I run 4- 14ft Southern Crappie poles, they are reasonably priced and well built I too usually use 1/2oz egg sinkers also which puts a slight ark in them, they seem to be sensitive enough for me and I occationally catch large Channel cats when I push minnows, I can think of a 24" Cat this past Summer, which was big fun. Also use a 4 pole Cumberland 360 T bar, my only complaint which I am sure comes with most T bar designs is if You dont gently lift Your pole the rest will bounce making it hard to see a bite, I may go to single pole holders down the road, but for now I am satisfied.

OOPS double post sorry

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

One BnM PST 14' rod & two 14' Capps & Coleman rods are what I use. 1/2oz of weight on either model will droop the tip just a bit, pretty much equally between them ... but, the C/C rods will flex more easily on a light bite, and bounce more from waves.

I normally push jigs with them, and have pushed cranks with them (once) ... catching Crappie up to around 1.5lbs and swinging them into the boat. Both models performed well. All three rods are equipped with baitcast reels/braid ... and my jigs are on 6# test mono leaders of approx 18-24" in length.

They're the only ones I'm familiar with, and I haven't used them more than a handful of times ... just so you know. But, overall I'm happy with them, so far.

My buddy & spider rigging mentor started out with PST's, but has lately gone to using C/C rods because (he says) the lighter tip action shows lite bites better. I believe he also has gone to using 3/4oz weights. I have 3/4oz weights on my rods, now ... but have not had a chance to use them since changing from 1/2oz weights.

... cp