PDA

View Full Version : Side by side seating

bigbob
01-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I been thinking of building some type platform for my boat so I can sit two people on the bow and fish side by side.
I have a very wide aluminum boat, so room is not an issue but I just can't figure out good setup.
I looked at the double down system but I really don't like the idea of not being able to turn around to the inside, I would like to have something that's open in the middle.
I thought about putting floor mounts on the deck, but I am not sure these will hold in the aluminum deck.
Anyone have any suggestions for building these at home?

possumcop
01-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Mount 2 seat bases in the bottom of your boat.

rango
01-18-2007, 05:54 PM
i have a wide front on my boat (20ft sea ark) i use two metal fold up chairs on the front deck. when you dont have two on the front, leave one at home :)

Ranger690
01-18-2007, 09:09 PM
http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/search.php?searchid=253177

bugman
01-19-2007, 06:06 AM
My suggestion would be to beef up the front deck a bit and mount pedistal bases,i mounted double seats in my fiberglass boat and it works out great.

creekslick
01-19-2007, 08:41 AM
I agree with bugman. Reinforce the deck and mount flush pedistal bases. I added two to my Tracker 175 but it has a plywood deck.

DRPEPPER
01-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Check out some of the pictures from the Larto trip on the Arkansas or Louisiana boards. You will see that Ceb makes Gooch sit on a 5 gallon bucket.
DP

fiddlefarter
01-19-2007, 09:20 AM
My votes for the 2 extra bases in the deck. I'm going to do mine like that when I recarpet. Right now I have a wooden box I made that goes down in the existing seat base and then has a seat base on each end.
Its a pain-in-the-a**! Always in my dang way. (cant open boxes etc.) But I think with the smaller bases and offset seat posts I believe I can put 2 bases in the floor and do away with the headache. Either that or i know a good metal fab man and I might design something and get him to make it for me. Something similar to the Tite-Lok deal. I figure then it would fit under my seats at the console when not in use.

J White
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm in the middle of a mess concerning this right now :rolleyes:

Didn't like Wally's rig, and the box would keep me out of the front
livewell and dry storage...

ended up getting two more bases, but only have a 18" wide space to
work with, so I'm using offset bases AND the crooked offset pedestals.
Having to convert over to 3/4 pin stuff for this, the rest of boat is
set up for 2 3/8" pedestals. If I ever get it done, I'll post some pics :)

GregG
01-19-2007, 11:20 AM
I built a box out of 2x8's, coveed it with 3/4" plywood and mounted my seat bases on the top.

Add a pin to the bottom center and place it in the current seat mount to hold it in place.

ceb
01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess that you can make it as elaborate or as simple as you'd like...I just wish that my fishing partner would go for a couple of 5 gallon buckets with cushions...

gooch
01-19-2007, 02:18 PM
I refuse to sit on a bucket and get out-fished as well. I am in the same situation and I am looking for a metal chair like the ones they have in state offices that can be stacked on one another. I am going to use the legs and take off the back support then mount a swiveling boat seat to the base leg assembly. This way we can still turn and access the back of the boat from the middle,and I dont have to buy all the extra bases, pins. I think the big thing is I wont have to go Bob Villa on my front deck and tear it up to get what I want.

creekslick
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Here is a picture of my daughter and me in my Pro 175 that I added the extra seat bases. Works good for us.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m212/creekslick/10032006.jpg

bugman
01-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Good lookin rig slick....good to see a youngster fishin and smilin...looks like ya'll had a great day on the water.

kincade
01-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I previously had a john boat, I built the platform to run on top of the first front bench from the bow. I used 2x6's and 3/4" plywood, covered with astro turf. I attached to seat mounts then bought the seat poles and seats. They werent exactly side by side but worked perfectly. What ever you do, try not to screw to the outer boat body, use clamps. Your imagination will take you further than we can.

TOMMY4UA
01-19-2007, 09:06 PM
i had scott echols from decatur,al make me one and it has worked great.he has a website www.hitekstuff.com.i have forgot his name on here but someone should remember it.

1weezer
01-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Get a Triton TA-196. It comes with two seats up front. LOL :D

BarryG
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
With my petite size.....I'm still afraid to go to the front of the boat by myself!!!!!! There is only a 60hp on the back! :D

ShilohRed
01-20-2007, 07:33 PM
My 20ft boat has three seat bases front and back. But the 17'7" boat I have a wooden box made up to handle it.
PEte
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/War-Eagle%202072/img16.jpg

robbor
01-20-2007, 08:47 PM
on the deck I build on my 1436 jon, I used a flat sheet of about 3/16 alum that I had hang over the edge of the boat 4" on each side(splash guard/foot room). After I made brackest to support it I layed 1 layer of a bicycle inner tubing inbetween the 2 and then rtv'd it good inside and out. Then I locasted where I wanted my hole for my pin pedistal base and drilled the shaft hole. Then with then with the shaft still in the hole I added the actual base from below the alum deck . So I can have a perfectly smooth deck and you could mount as many bases as you want from below for a single or double seating arrangment. then the carpet of course. Crappie boats are terrible for bass fishing where you do alot of roll casting and pitching, more height and no obstructions are needed.

fiddlefarter
01-21-2007, 12:51 AM
on the deck I build on my 1436 jon, I used a flat sheet of about 3/16 alum that I had hang over the edge of the boat 4" on each side(splash guard/foot room). After I made brackest to support it I layed 1 layer of a bicycle inner tubing inbetween the 2 and then rtv'd it good inside and out. Then I locasted where I wanted my hole for my pin pedistal base and drilled the shaft hole. Then with then with the shaft still in the hole I added the actual base from below the alum deck . So I can have a perfectly smooth deck and you could mount as many bases as you want from below for a single or double seating arrangment. then the carpet of course. Crappie boats are terrible for bass fishing where you do alot of roll casting and pitching, more height and no obstructions are needed.

Show us pictures. We're slow and learn by looking at stuff

robbor
01-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Sorry, I looked in my old pic cd but I cant find any. My boat is in storage in a field 500 miles away from me right now:( . Basicall i made a Tshaped frame out of alum angle and and sat the deck on top.

Rowdy
01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Hope this comes through, I made it The center hole goes over the existing pedestal hole then use a 6 3/4 bolt corse thead to tighten it down.
Rowdy
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d166/donniesmith1960/Minnowtank.jpg