Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nickajack slabs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nickajack slabs.

Hit Nickajack at 9:30 a.m. In an hour and fifteen minutes I had 9 fish of a 15 fish limit. Then the east wind kicked in and it took me almost 4 hours to get the other 6. Almost went home but decided to stick it out. Nine fish were caught using a Bison colored Trout Magnet on a 1/16 ounce head.....a Tict Ice Cube Rockin' Drift 6' 9" UL rod with 2# test braid with about 2 feet of 2# test Phantom fluorocarbon leader twitching in 21 feet of water using a count down to the bottom. Caught the rest with a Yamaga Blanks Blue Current 6' 10' Jig Head Special UL rod spooled with SOS 2# test line with a Midnight Blue Slab Magnet on a 1/32 ounce Double Cross Jig Head....also twitched along the bottom.......most would hit it as it started up the rock ledge. The bass came on the Slab Magnet....a nice little fight with the 2# test. Smallest crappie were 12 inches with some close to the 14 inch mark.....big shouldered fish. All fish given away......not setup in the new house yet to clean fish. Love Nickajack...life is good!

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Likes chaunc, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Nice catch. Thanks for the fishing information and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I cross that lake twice a year on my way to Chattanooga and always wonder how the crappie fishing was. I may have to stop some time.
    Clint
    Far West Kentucky
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/signaturepics/sigpic31827_3.gif
    Old enough to know better and way too old to care!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking fish alpha! Have you ventured out any in the boat yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Nice detailed report. I have driven by the Lake there several times and always thought looked like a nice spot to make a camping fish run.

I like to take my 12 volt knife and just clean the fish when I come off the water. I just take a small cooler and some plastic shopping bags to put the fillets in.Keep a board and some water and a five gallon bucket in the truck. I either use fish cleaning stations or just find me a quiet spot off the road. Man its nice to pull in the drive with fish all cleaned and guts disposed of. Especially late in the evening.
    Likes Alphahawk, Rigderunner LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Nickajack a few years ago. I remember filling the livewell with big bream and shellcrackers. It was in May and there was a full moon. Used a small black twistertail pitching into beds. Never fished for crappies there. Was in the shallows of Mullins Cove in front of a beautful log house..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    Nice looking fish alpha! Have you ventured out any in the boat yet?

Oh yeah...but trying to get settled in new house has slowed my fishing down some. Loving the boat though.

Regards

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish and a good trip.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dollfly View Post
    I have fished Nickajack a few years ago. I remember filling the livewell with big bream and shellcrackers. It was in May and there was a full moon. Used a small black twistertail pitching into beds. Never fished for crappies there. Was in the shallows of Mullins Cove in front of a beautful log house..
    You know for the past 6 years I have killed the crappie on Nickajack in spring and fall. Many times making the drive from my former town as much as 5 days a week for about a 9 week period. It was an 130 mile drive one way...and I fished from the bank. The guys I fished with down there were always telling me about the great Gill and shell cracker fishing. Now that I have moved I am only 80 miles from Nickajack and have a new boat....so this spring will be checking out the Gill fishing for sure.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast