Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down Trolling Speed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slowing down Trolling Speed?

Got a new boat this year with a 90 hp mercury on it. I use my trolling motor for trolling for crappie, but love to troll for stripers as well. It trolls at about 4.1 mph. I would love to be between 2.7 and 3.0 mph. How can I do this without drift bags. I checked on lower pitch prop, but they said it is almost maxed out in rpms so I can only go down maybe 2 degrees in pitch which will not get me there. My brother put a trolling plate on his 150 and it got it down to 1.0 mph which is much too slow. Anyone file a notch at about 45 degrees in the trolling plate? Have heard of people doing that. Open to any suggestions.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used one of these for years on my 75 Yamaha.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/boati..._SEQ_104655780

It does a good job and is easy to use as long as you are going forward. Reverse is a pain in the butt.

My new 140 Suzuki 4 stroke will have a trolling mode switch on the dash where the engine rpms can be raised or lowered 50rpm per click. I rarely troll over 2mph.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes wilbur LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What is the speed when idling?

Post Thanks / Like

Hang your trolling motor down will slow you down some. As well as tilting your main motor. Hanging a bucket or trolling bag/drift sock works too. Of course, a plate works too.

Might also try switching from a 3-blade to a 4 or 5-blade prop (along with changing pitch), especially if top end speed is not a concern.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Monk,
    My only concern is it slowing me down too slow. Put one on my brothers 150 and it is down to about 1 mph. Every hear of notching to put plate at angle or cutting off part of the plate to get speed up some?

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=cwright;3077309]Hi Monk,
    My only concern is it slowing me down too slow. Put one on my brothers 150 and it is down to about 1 mph. Every hear of notching to put plate at angle or cutting off part of the plate to get speed up some?[/QUOTE
    i use the troll a matic plate,cant your go alittle faster than idle and get the speed faster ,thats what i do when using the trolling plate

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwright View Post
    ... Every hear of notching to put plate at angle or cutting off part of the plate to get speed up some?
    Yes... I bought a used boat with the lower half of the plate cut off. Never used that way (it was off the motor when purchased). I gave it to a friend who uses it, but I have not been on his boat (large pontoon) with the plate.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What about drilling til the desired speed is achieved?
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a trolling plate today. Figured if I start trolling with live bait and planer boards I will need to really slow it down so went ahead and ordered it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast