Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sam W. - BnM

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam W. - BnM

Sam, Have you heard anything from BnM about the rods we won at the Fling. Were we supposed to contact them or them contact us? In all my excitement, I didn't ask.

I've looked at some of the rods they make and talked to some people that have them and can't decide what I want to order. I did see one of the Dock Shooter rods at the Fling, I think that was the name, and thought it was sort of on the weak side and about only 5' long. It didn't have as much back bone as what you and I use now.

I think I'll try the swamp for some blue gills one more time before it gets to hot for me to take. It'll be in the mid 90's this week and it's getting time for me to start hugging the AC. I can't wait for cool weather again.

If I see your buddy, Alex, the alligator, I'll tell him you said hello.

Gerald
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappiepappy - help!

No, Gerald, I haven't heard anything about those BnM rods either. I asked Don York if he knew anything about it, and he said crappiepappy should know, as BnM Poles was one of his contacts.

So, crappiepappy, if you're reading this - do Gerald and I need to contact BnM? The Yorks took our addresses down, and I thought it was so BnM could send us a catalog and certificate for those rods. So far, that hasn't happened. Let us know please.

Gerald, since I can't fish with you these days - here's a picture of your new partner in that S.C. swamp you like. - Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images  

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Spring Fling Top Three Teams - BnM Pole Winners

Sorry guys - I thought the Catalog would have already arrived by now. I just got off the phone with BnM, and here's the deal. My e-mail with the pole winners names was deleted by mistake. I will re-email the list to BnM and they will send you a catalog. You will then call in your rod choice - identifying yourself by name and address AND as a Spring Fling contestant/winner. Only those people, whose names are on the "winners" list, will be eligable to call in their order for the "free" rod of choice.

Sorry it's taking so long to get your well deserved prizes ... cp

The contact person at BnM is Jack Wells ... ask for him by name. The number to call is 1-800-647-6363 --- after you receive your catalog in the mail ... call and ask for Jack Wells - identify yourself as I described above - and place your "order" for your rod of choice.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-24-2004 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM & ALEX

Thanks CP for the info. Now I'm open to suggestions on what to order from everybody. I know there are more knowledgable people on this group than I am to make a selection on a rod from them. I'm open to all thoughts about this. I lean to a casting or something to shoot docks with.

CP are you boat shopping yet with all the new time off.

Sam I think the picture you sent was one of Amanda, not Alex, but if I see her, I'll tell her you said hello. I hope to be headed back down there in a day or two.

Tight lines to all,
    Gerald

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Sorry guys - I thought the Catalog would have already arrived by now. I just got off the phone with BnM, and here's the deal. My e-mail with the pole winners names was deleted by mistake. I will re-email the list to BnM and they will send you a catalog. You will then call in your rod choice - identifying yourself by name and address AND as a Spring Fling contestant/winner. Only those people, whose names are on the "winners" list, will be eligable to call in their order for the "free" rod of choice.

Sorry it's taking so long to get your well deserved prizes ... cp

The contact person at BnM is Jack Wells ... ask for him by name. The number to call is 1-800-647-6363 --- after you receive your catalog in the mail ... call and ask for Jack Wells - identify yourself as I described above - and place your "order" for your rod of choice.
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

cp - Thanks for straightening that out. I know everyone appreciates the efforts you and others put into making the Spring Fling and Fall Brawl a success each time.

I'm with Gerald - I'd like to hear some recommendations about BnM Poles from those who have them. There aren't any docks to shoot where I fish, and I seldom minnow-fish. Mostly I slow-troll and cast jigs for crappie so I'll be looking for a rod that will do that well. Thanks again. - Sam

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Sam/Gerald - for a jig "casting" rod ... I can't think of a better outfit than the Sam Heaton 7ft rod.

I found the "Sharpshooter" to be a nice little rod ... but a bit "whippy" for it's length. I was sure it was going to be a stout little rod with fast tip action - but after checking out one ... I don't know, may be a bit too light action.

Best "dock shooting" rod I have is a 6ft Lews/Browning med/hvy spinning outfit that I crossed over from my Bass equipment to my Crappie arsenal. I'd say the BnM Sharpshooter would work fine on "open" docks ... but when you get to those docks that have a lot of "obstacles" in/under/around them - you probably want something with a little more backbone, to control the fish and to be able to shoot a jig as far back under one as you can.

I don't do any Spider rig fishing or long pole vertical jigging or long-line trollng ... so I really can't help in that regard. ...........cp

chaunc is online now 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a sharpshooter rod a month ago. Didn't get a chance to use it till last week when i started my vacation. I really like the feel and strength of it. Catching crappies on it was great. I said was, because sunday, my buddy tried to grab the net to net a big slab and the net slipped from his hand, hit my 10 ft B&M pole and flipped it into the water. In the process of retrieving it, he broke my sharpshooter rod. We got the B&M back tho. He ordered me a new one sunday evening. That's a friend. Gonna give it a good workout as soon as it gets here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default BnM Rods

I would recommend the Sam Heaton Super-Sensitive Rod also. It's SHSS72 in the BnM Catalog. It's 7ft long and comes in two sections. It's made of IM6 graphite that is very sensitive and yet strong. It has genuine Portuguese cork handles and can be used for casting, jigging or even shooting docks.

It's the one I have my eye on.

Also the BnM Buck's Ultimate is a good rod too. This rod cames in several lengths 8ft and 10ft and each is a two section rod. It has super stiff action and can be used for casting, flipping or as a jig pole. Portuguese cork handle and one footed aluminum oxide guides. Spinnning Guides for super casting ability. BnM Catalog numbers BULT82 for the 8ft two piece rod and BULT102 for the 10ft rod in two section.

I presently am using and own the BnM Buck's Graphite Jig Pole in 12ft lenght. It's a two piece rod with a nice finish. The handle 20" EVA foam. It's 96% tubular graphite. It's a two section rod also. The guides are all pretty small in inside diameter. It has a beautiful finish and it has muscle. I caught a 15" largemouth bass using this rod last year and it played the bass great using 4lb test line. Trilene XL. I also have caught crappie up to 1.5lbs on this rod and it let me pull the big slab out of the submerged tree top. The rod had great sensitivity and you can really feel the slightest bites. I caught crappie in 22ft of water while drop shoting last Dec. The only thing I don't like about Long poles is that if the line gets twisted around the end of the rod tip it's had to get the line unwrapped again. I have poor eyesight and I used a very small line that is very hard to see. That makes it harder for me to know which way the line is wrapped around the tip and I can't unwrap the line without having to reach the very end of the 12ft long pole. Since my boat is only 16ft long I have a hard time getting to the end of the long pole. And often after I get the line unwrapped and am trying to get back to fishing the line will sometimes get rewrapped around the tip again. I have been told that it's the type of line that I am using so that could be the reason. But I have stopped using this rod until I can get a new reel for it and some better line. All in all I would rate the rod excellent. I plan on still using it for jig fishing ie drop shotting.

I just recently purchased a Richard Williams 7ft long Crappie pole that I am very happy with. The cost was excellent and the rod is excellent. It has large fugui type casting guides that I really like. It has a nice handle and it's made out of IM6 or IM7 graphite. The finish is beautiful and it's a two piece rod. It's very light weight and still stong. It only cost 26 bucks plus about 12 bucks for shipping.

all the rods above have plastic handles that seat the reels. I prefer to have a rod that has a metal reel holder. I just hate plastic but it seems that it's all they use these days. But you get what you pay for. A metal reel holder on a rod drives up the cost.

One note about graphite rods. Take good care of them and secure them snug so they don't get knocked around and nicked up. Graphite can be broken if not used properly.

I think that both BnM and Richard Williams will sell you a new tip for your rod if you break the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Sam/Gerald - for a jig "casting" rod ... I can't think of a better outfit than the Sam Heaton 7ft rod.

I found the "Sharpshooter" to be a nice little rod ... but a bit "whippy" for it's length. I was sure it was going to be a stout little rod with fast tip action - but after checking out one ... I don't know, may be a bit too light action.

Best "dock shooting" rod I have is a 6ft Lews/Browning med/hvy spinning outfit that I crossed over from my Bass equipment to my Crappie arsenal. I'd say the BnM Sharpshooter would work fine on "open" docks ... but when you get to those docks that have a lot of "obstacles" in/under/around them - you probably want something with a little more backbone, to control the fish and to be able to shoot a jig as far back under one as you can.

I don't do any Spider rig fishing or long pole vertical jigging or long-line trollng ... so I really can't help in that regard. ...........cp
    Last edited by Moose1am; 05-26-2004 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling Correction
    Regards,

Moose1am