Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rig question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rig question

I notice most of the spider rig fishing talked about on here is in large man made resevoirs. I fish the Warrior and Tombigbee rivers in West Alabama and have yet to see anyone using this method. We have lots of creeks and sloughs off the main river that range 2-12 ft deep on avg. Any of you spider rigged areas like this or think it would work? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default spider rig question

I don't see why you could'nt spider rig there, I don't know the area, but from
    you said I don't see any problem.
    I spider rig in the Tn. river [ pickwick Lake ], that's about the only way this old fat lazy boy fishes.

Good Lake..................spider rig man

Hardyville Hart Co, Ky,45min fromNolin, 50 min. Green 55 min. Barren 75 min Dale!
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the current, I normly use 1/2 oz weights, in big current you may have to go to 1 oz.
    Rowdy
    Remember This Beautiful World is
    ''Only Temperary Housing''!

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

If i can spider rig in a farm pond, you can do it there

Post Thanks / Like

Spider-rigging will work in any body of water, including rivers and creeks. Whats great about rivers and creeks is that they have limited amount of structure, making selections easier. Look for channel bends, cuts, flats, points, humps, sharp drops (big or small), and/or any cover such as brushpiles and stumps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cedar
    I notice most of the spider rig fishing talked about on here is in large man made resevoirs. I fish the Warrior and Tombigbee rivers in West Alabama and have yet to see anyone using this method. We have lots of creeks and sloughs off the main river that range 2-12 ft deep on avg. Any of you spider rigged areas like this or think it would work? Thanks
    Yeah, I spider rig in a few rivers just like that. It can be an advantage to not have really deep water. Less water to have to search through. Use as long a pole as you can stand to use because the shallower the water the further away from the trolling motor you need to be. Especially when you get under 10 feet. You don't even need the rods with reels in water no deeper than that. You can get away with regular crappie POLEs with floats. That is the way a lot of guys fish around my neck of the woods. I fish with rods 12 to 16' long to keep baits away from trolling motor and tight line with Capps and Coleman rigs. Make sure you fish in the areas with no current or as little as possible. If you can't escape current then just use one pole and fish the current breaks because thats where they are gonna be and you won't need 6 or 8 poles to search for them. Last time I went out spider rigging, I caught over 50 and lost another 30. It works. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, You may want to try longline trolling and trolling crankbaits. If you rig your rod holders right, then you can do all these things. This makes your boat very versitile. CF

Post Thanks / Like

I was the first in my area to do this. You will get funny looks. CF

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished Harding in east central bama forever. 2 years ago I saw a man(1 man) pushing jigs in Ossnippa creek. He was using 4 rods. That is the only person I have ever seen. I am the only other one. I work the upper end at times and it is just river. The tombigbee is full of crappie so git to spider rigging

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys, and yes I figured I would get a few snickers from the old timers, but I'm gonna get a few extra poles and give it a try in a few weeks. Thanks, Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast