Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best tackle

IowaFishin Guest

Default Best tackle

I have recently been introduced to the crappie fishing world and would like to know what is the easiest way to catch them. I currently use tube baits in the blue/white and red/white config.

Post Thanks / Like

where i live you can't use them but if you can minnows are easy to use (so i hear ). but i love tube jigs as well. 1/16oz for casting and swimming and 1/64oz for vertical jigging orshallow water. i've also had good luck with custom tied hair jigs from some of the people on this site. i make sure to always tip my jigs (both tube and hair) with maggots or a crappie nibble.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

All I use are jigs. Tube jigs work great as they are what I used in the past. Some friends of mine and I then started making our own solid body jigs and that is all I use now. I have not used minnows in years.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

What color solid body jigs do you use?, and what does it look
    like?.

Billy
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows/shinners work well, but I have been really outfished by my buddy who was using jigs. This converted me to using jigs and occasionally shinners. The most effective colors that I have found for where I fish (colors will vary with different colored water) first choice, black and charturese, black and pink, and red and white. Injected with berkley crappie nibbles via the bait pump.http://thebaitpump.com various colors of hand tied jigs work well also. I prefer hair jigs but some prefer feather jigs. 1/64 for a very slow fall (i get lots of hits while the jig is falling) on up to about 1/4 oz for slow trolling,long line trolling,or even straight line jigging.
    The last lake I fished in, the 4 jig rig was the very popular, the way I done mine was with 1/4 on bottom and 1/32 on the other three. There are a couple of solid body jigs that I use from BPS that seem to work well also. One is called the crappie beaver and one called the crappie ringer.
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 01-18-2007 at 04:21 PM.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Default how to tie 4 jig rig

What knots do you use to tie a 4 jig rig? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

This forum is probably the best resource to learn about crappie fishing anywhere in the world. The sheer magnitude of information available here is staggering. You need to use the search, once you've logged in, to find topics that you want to learn about. If there is a topic about crappie fishing, we have discussed it here at one time or another and its all here to see, so just start reading and pretty soon you'll have graduated from crappie.com university, and you'll be posting pictures of slabs and helping the other new crappie anglers.

It will help if have more specific questions. You will get more responses than just asking to learn about crappie fishing in general.

Have fun
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

my go to colors are....

yellow/white (90% of the time)
    red/white
    red/yellow
    white
    black/pink
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the guys use the dropper loops http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com
    I just realized that I was using the wrong not. I was making my loops like you do on a home made trot line, and sometimes when a big fish would hit, the line would break at the knot. And I wasn't sure exactly how i was supposed to be doing the dropper loop. So what I did was used the 3-way swivels. I tied the line to a swivel, a jig off of one side, then the third i tied about a foot of string and another 3 way swivel with a jig and about another foot of string with a heavier jig, or a half ounce weight on the bottom. What I did was basically a two or three jig rig.
    Here is a link to a thread on the Louisiana board that may help you out.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=26595
    You can't fish with a hung line!