Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freezing/Storing Fish Vacuum Seal vs Water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freezing/Storing Fish Vacuum Seal vs Water

I read a thread on here today regarding brands of vacuum food savers which led to my question: How many of you guys vacuum seal your filets to freeze as opposed to freezing in water ? I've forever put my filets, (20 per bag max) in a gallon freezer bag with water and froze them that way, I've never vacuum sealed them before. For those with experience vacuum sealing, please discuss pro's and con's of vacuum sealing vs water freezing. Do they keep longer ? Take up less space ? Stay firm and fresh ? Thoughts ? Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Post Thanks / Like

I freeze mine in water, so I would like to know this also.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Hat55 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I freeze mine in water, so I would like to know this also.
    X2!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Use the search feature... This subject has been hashed out numerous times.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Since I didn't post on the last thread, I will here....My sealer is over 10 years old....and still sealing away! FOODSAVER IS THE BEST!
    I bag, vacuum, and seal, 2 freezers full of fish a year....I have missed rotating bags of fish and found some that were 4 years old. They have no freezer burn, no bad tastes, and are not mushy after all that time! Of Course they are not like fresh from the cold water, but it's the next best thing...and a lot better and safer than from a store!
    The space that this thing saves me is fantastic, but the flavor of the fish is also saved, since oxygen cannot get to the filets.

I use to Sea Salt rinse my filets over night before sealing...but I have found that Cider Vinegar will also draw blood and impurities, kill any bacteria, but will not break down the Proteins and keeps the filets firm. Just soak over night, then rinse and pat dry before sealing....IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE TASTE OF THE FISH EITHER!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 11-03-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They stay just as fresh longer plus real advantage is ease of storage. Froze them in water for years and were just fine but take a lot of room.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you go to the store and buy a sack of meat in water? Not often. You will buy a lot of food that has been vacuum sealed, tho....and it can stay in the freezer for a very long time. The space saved depends on packing the filets in the bag neatly so the bag will be flat. Then they stack like a deck of cards

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I actually have a vacuum sealer (Food Saver brand if I remember correctly) that's collected dust for the last couple of years still in the box as it came. I'll have to break it out and give it a whirl. I actually don't recall ever buying vacuum sealed meats at the stores, seems like most commercial packers flash freeze their products like chicken breasts, catfish filets, etc and steaks are always fresh not frozen but I could be mistaken. I'll definitely hit the search feature and get some more input of the particular "how to's" that others have offered up in prior hashed out threads. Thanks all !

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the "cry-o-vac" packages aren't in your area, but there are so many people up here that smoke meats that the grocery stores regularly put out meat in their sealed package. Brisket is one, pork loins up to 10 pounds. Great way to buy meat economically. Vacuum sealers have a few rules/guidelines that I've learned. Or maybe others know better ways to use them than me. I try to have my filets mostly drained of all water. When I want to seal a sauce (marinara, chili, etc), I will freeze it in a container first, then pop it out of the container like an ice cube and then vac seal it. It just seems like if too much water or fluid is in the package, it will get pulled up into the sealing area and mess up the seal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    Maybe the "cry-o-vac" packages aren't in your area, but there are so many people up here that smoke meats that the grocery stores regularly put out meat in their sealed package. Brisket is one, pork loins up to 10 pounds. Great way to buy meat economically. Vacuum sealers have a few rules/guidelines that I've learned. Or maybe others know better ways to use them than me. I try to have my filets mostly drained of all water. When I want to seal a sauce (marinara, chili, etc), I will freeze it in a container first, then pop it out of the container like an ice cube and then vac seal it. It just seems like if too much water or fluid is in the package, it will get pulled up into the sealing area and mess up the seal.
    I double seal all of my bags just to make sure I have no leaks...if I have food with moisture, I double seal one end, put the food in, just seal the first time, and then paper towel dry the seal, and seal again....I don't know about the new sealers but mine is made to pull excess moisture out....it has the normal pit but also has a drain tube, plus a setting for wet foods.
    I have a neighborhood butcher, that I get all my meat and wild game from...I vacuum seal and freeze all of it with Zero problems.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast