Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for guys running 9.9 hp outboards...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions for guys running 9.9 hp outboards...

What year, make, and type (2 or 4 stroke) is your motor and what hull do you have it on? Also what is your typical load and what kind of performance do you see in terms of planing and speed?

I'm thinking about doing some saving over the winter and getting a new-to-me or brand new jon boat rig this spring to fish a local lake with a 10hp restriction as well as to use in some of the skinnier water and smaller rivers. I'd just like to know what others use and what combos work and which don't.

Post Thanks / Like

2004 Merc 9.9 4 stroke on 1442 fiberglass skiff runs 12 MPH with me (340 pounds), 1 series 27 battery, tackle bag, a half dozen rods, small cooler with ice/snacks and 3 gallons of fuel.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a 16' Starcraft with a 9.9 evinrude 2 stroke for 25 years. Put the gas tank up front and could get up on plane without too much trouble as long as I didn't over load it with extra junk. As far as running the rivers and skinny water it should be fine, as you should slow down anyway for safety reasons. Found out the hard way what speed and rocks on a river does to ya. Got rid of the jet boat and went back to running the 9.9 with a rock guard caught just as many fish and only took an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get there, but I got there safely. You don't always need a high speed boat with a big motor to fish and have fun. I am on my second Starcraft purchased in 2002 running a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke (don't have to worry about rocks in the St Johns) Not the fanciest boat in the bunch but it's light weight easy for an old fart like me to launch and load by myself, and I still catch the heck out of the fish. Good luck with your purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shadboy View Post
    2004 Merc 9.9 4 stroke on 1442 fiberglass skiff runs 12 MPH with me (340 pounds), 1 series 27 battery, tackle bag, a half dozen rods, small cooler with ice/snacks and 3 gallons of fuel.
    Thanks! Any chance you know about how much that skiff weighs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappieday View Post
    I ran a 16' Starcraft with a 9.9 evinrude 2 stroke for 25 years. Put the gas tank up front and could get up on plane without too much trouble as long as I didn't over load it with extra junk. As far as running the rivers and skinny water it should be fine, as you should slow down anyway for safety reasons. Found out the hard way what speed and rocks on a river does to ya. Got rid of the jet boat and went back to running the 9.9 with a rock guard caught just as many fish and only took an extra 5 or 10 minutes to get there, but I got there safely. You don't always need a high speed boat with a big motor to fish and have fun. I am on my second Starcraft purchased in 2002 running a 25 Yamaha 2 stroke (don't have to worry about rocks in the St Johns) Not the fanciest boat in the bunch but it's light weight easy for an old fart like me to launch and load by myself, and I still catch the heck out of the fish. Good luck with your purchase.
    Thanks! I have another fishing boat for bigger water so I am just looking for something that will get up on plane, create a breeze, and be able to move a couple of of sub-200# guys just a few miles at the most.

My experience with motors that small is limited. Last time I was in a boat with one we were in a very thin gauge 1548 flatbottom with a 9.9 Tohatsu 2-stroke, 2 men, full livewell and some catfish gear and were able to do 18 mph and plane easily. That boat was really thin and riveted though so I'm sure it was really light. All of these welded boats offered now seem a lot heavier but also look like they will take a beating and last virtually forever.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a 1448 or 1648 riveted by any of the big names would be best. Check on tinboats forum. Plenty there on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Lowe 16 ft. stick steering aluminum boat with a Mercury 9.9 pro kicker for fishing the small horse power limited lakes. I guess the total boat weight at about 960 pounds plus me at 240. It will not get on plain and if opened up to full throttle runs about 8 mph. I don't believe you will get any welded aluminum 16 ft. boat to plain out with a 9.9 hp.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_C View Post
    I have a Lowe 16 ft. stick steering aluminum boat with a Mercury 9.9 pro kicker for fishing the small horse power limited lakes. I guess the total boat weight at about 960 pounds plus me at 240. It will not get on plain and if opened up to full throttle runs about 8 mph. I don't believe you will get any welded aluminum 16 ft. boat to plain out with a 9.9 hp.
    I tend to agree. Seems like the lightest 1548 welded boats are still around 500 lbs. Riveted is fine for my intentions. I plan on going into some pretty skinny water but not as bad as the places that duck hunters go.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot depends on the type of water and what your expectation are. Big open water might require a different hull type, especially of you want to achieve optimal top end speed. Also depends on the load you normally carry.....one or two, or three fishermen. Jons are fine for protected, small bodies of water, but in a good chop, they can prove dangerous in less than skillful skippers.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Older 9.9 Johnson on a 13ft. Gheenoe will get you anywhere you want to go. I might add it's not for the faint hearted person. BTW it's for sale...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast