Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: An Expensive lesson, learned cheaply...

Post Thanks / Like

Default An Expensive lesson, learned cheaply...

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to take a couple of minutes and remind everyone to wear their life jackets when out in the boats. My best friend and I were fishing a trout tournament this morning when I attempted to adjust the way I was sitting in the seat to make it more comfortable on my back. When I did this the seat bracket either broke or slipped completely off of the "bench seat" in my jon boat, causing me to end up in the water, backwards and head first. To say the least this was not in the game plan when we launched the boat this morning. Luckily I did not hit my head on the boat as far as we can tell. If I had or if someone else had in a similar situation had without a life jacket on. That very likely would of been the end of them. I know they are not comfortable or look cool, but man can they save your life. Please remember to wear your life vest while in a boat.

Thanks,

Bobo

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reminder Bobo. Glad you are okay.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

PFD IS always the first thing that I put on before I get in the boat and the last thing I take off after I'm out rather it's the kayak or my bass boat. I can't swim a lick so I wear one even on the hottest days. Don't care how much I sweat or how ugly I may look, my life is more important. Thanks for the reminder.
    Craig Blankenship
    www.craigsoutdoorsports.com
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What amazes me is the looks I get from some of my fishing friends when I suggest they wear one. It is like I sprouted horns or had one eye or something. I wear mine and hope they never need one because they are not going to wear one.
    Kind of ranks up there with no seat belts and no helmets on motorcycles in my mind.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I use my trolling motor a lot when fishing alone, I was thinking one day, what if the motor was on, and I tripped on something and fell in? I put on my jacket and always use it now.

Post Thanks / Like

Had this happen to me in February luckily had someone in the jonboat with me water was cold!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent reminder!! Glad you're ok

Post Thanks / Like

About three weeks ago a man I went through elementary and high school with,drown not a mile from home, on familiar waters, he has fished a thousand times over the last 45 years or so.And he was in sight of the boat ramp. According to some witnesses on the bank he had just launched and was having trouble with the trolling motor.He went to the back to check the wiring. Apparently he left the trolling motor in manual on,when he corrected the the connection issue the boat lurched and he fell in. The boat started circling and he tried to catch it rather then swim to bank. The boat or motor banged him on the head hard enough to knock him unconscious. Had he had a life jacket on it would have kept his head up.

The witnesses on the bank were far enough away they could not tell exactly what happened but that seems to be a fairly accurate supposition. The people on the bank were not good swimmers and could not get to him in time. The victim was a good swimmer.