Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Replacing Impeller

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing Impeller

Hey Yall, Can someone tell me how to replace the impeller on my 2003 40 hp mercury?. I'm trying to save money by doing it myself, buy it might be to hard
    to do for me.

SRM

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

go to this site . it isen`t that much probablem you need manul . T M D can help you.
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

this site will tell you how to do it, http://brokeboats.com/new pump.html
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

It's not hard at all. Go ahead and get the water pump kit which includes the impeller.

Post Thanks / Like

put it in nuetral..drop the foot..remove any o-rings or foam seals on the driveshaft..pop the upper housing off the pump..remove the impeller..dont loose the water pump key..put a dab of grease on the key(holds it to the drive shaft) and replace it on the drive shaft..slide the impeller over the key..slide upper housing over the shaft..ROTATE DRIVESHAFT CLOCKWISE as up slide housing over impeller..DONT OVER TIGHTIN THE UPPER HOUSING it will break..make sure the L/U is in nuetral..slide it into the mid section..you must manipulate the shifter rod to line them up..you will have to rotate the flywheel to line the splines in the driveshaft and crank up..ROTATE CLOCKWISE..you will have to be SURE TO GET THE WATER TUBE in the pump housing..she will pop right up into place...
    NOTE...some 40hp and smaller are made by yamaha..they dont have a 2 peice shift shaft..you must remove the starter..flip up the retainer pin(under bottom front of engine) and remove it to relase the L/U from the shift lever....hope this helps..pm me if you have a problem..its not that bad.
    Chuck Cissell
    Parker Marine
    Paris,tennessee