Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where would you retire?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Where would you retire?

This is a real question.

I am getting close, maybe another five years, and it is time to start thinking about where I want to settle and spend my geezer years. If you could live on any lake, which one would it be? I am not asking about which is the best fishing lake? I live in Grenada MS, and have fished Grenada, Washington, and Enid my entire life. I own land in Grenada county with a trailer on it so I could come back here to fish whenever I wanted. I am really asking about quality of life stuff...taxes, people, crime, and churches. I am sure that i want to stay in the south. So......

Kentucky/Barkley? Dardanelle? Green River? Reelfoot? Others?

Not looking for a fish camp, yall. Asking about great neighborhoods with nice houses and such. I know this could get expensive, and I won't say money is not an issue (it is always an issue) but it isn't much of an issue at this point in my life.

So, If you could retire lakefront with a private dock, where would you go?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not been to the lakes you mention. That said check on Lake Talquin in the Florida panhandle. Has all the requirements you asked. Anywhere in Florida north of Gainesville is still in the south. South of Gainesville is a crap shoot on where your living, could be New York, Cuba, south, Canada who knows. But I was very impressed with Quincy Fl and Talquin last weekend. At least worth investigating.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    I have not been to the lakes you mention. That said check on Lake Talquin in the Florida panhandle. Has all the requirements you asked. Anywhere in Florida north of Gainesville is still in the south. South of Gainesville is a crap shoot on where your living, could be New York, Cuba, south, Canada who knows. But I was very impressed with Quincy Fl and Talquin last weekend. At least worth investigating.
    Hmmm...never even considered Florida. Will add Talquin to the list of places to visit. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

As I got older, I realized that access to doctors and hospitals was essential......and a Walmart supercenter.....
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER
    Likes "D", Tracker123, chulai1968 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retire

I would retire in Kimberling City MO-Table Rock Lake or Boulder Junction wis. Northwoods, if I had a place in MS....190 Lakes within 15 miles circle..

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

South central Tennessee. Lots of lakes, 4 seasons, small towns, plenty of hospitals, close to major cities. Not that I been thinking about this. lol
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by prefers shiners View Post
    As I got older, I realized that access to doctors and hospitals was essential......and a Walmart supercenter.....
    Wally and hospitals are critical. This is why we do not live full time at the lake. I was injured several weeks back at our lake house. Took EMC 30 min to get there. I punctured my leg. It was a gusher. Had a shoe full of blood, but had help with applying pressure on the wound til they showed up.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Having driven truck for 25 years I have been around some. I really like the area around Lake Murray and Columbia , SC. Seasons, lots of history nearby, and Lake Murray is a good fishery to my knowledge. Carolina Gamecocks have a good football game now and then If your so inclined. I've lived in Florida for a long time and agree with Huntinslabs too. West of Gainesville is the High Springs area that is still very old Florida and just classy. Another plus to that area is it's proximity to some excellent Quail hunting in SW Georgia. The only thing I would suggest is to stay a little ways from the coast to help avoid the intensity of the inevitable hurricane that comes through now and then. I lived in Tennessee for 10 years and truly love middle Tennessee, but the granddaughters are here in central Florida and here we are. I had some of the best fresh water fishing of my life there and became very comfortable with small town living. Good luck in your search and decision.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on Florida but would consider St. John's or Kissimmee area. Many salt areas too.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting topic, I asked the same question here a few years ago and got some of the same responses seen already. I like the FL area, but their is also Lake Guntersville, and Santee Cooper. I think having mountains and the beach within a day's drive would be a big plus. With all that retirement time on your hands their is no need to strictly crappie fish. Having trout, quality 'gills, shell crackers, bass, stripes, and a plethora of salt water feeshes and a little hunting available would be great.
    The two best times to fish (when it's raining & when it aint). Proud member of team GitDaFeeshGrease

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast