Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sam Heaton Super Sensitive: Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam Heaton Super Sensitive: Question

I have been hearing a lot about this rod. How is the backbone and tip action? I am looking to replace my 11' Ozark with a lighter rod with similar(stiff) action. I'm not looking for a whippy rod. Is this what I'm looking for? If not, any suggestions? Not interested in a BGJP.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Very sensitive but I snapped 2 upper sections on different trips setting the hook on Grenada slabs.
    I also broke another upper section setting hook on a Ky Lake slab this spring.
    I do have a very light trigger and set the hook quickly and harsh as my buddies proclaim. My BnM's, crappie stalkers and HT 14' trolling rods have never broke. I also have rod racks and store them each time.
    Food for thought...

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cmj View Post
    I have been hearing a lot about this rod. How is the backbone and tip action? I am looking to replace my 11' Ozark with a lighter rod with similar(stiff) action. I'm not looking for a whippy rod. Is this what I'm looking for? If not, any suggestions? Not interested in a BGJP.
    If it is basically the same rod as the original Sam Heaton Signature Series (as BnM claims) it has a parabolic bend action (slow action) which means it bends more in the middle section of the rod.

I have a 7' SHSigSeries and a 10' SHSupSensitive ... and they both have the parabolic bend and bend in the middle. My 10' Huckabee Dippin rod is virtually the same action. But, my 9' ESP PowerJig rod has a fast action tip, and bends more towards the end 1/4 of the rod.

Rod action chart -

I'm not dissing any of these rods, nor specifically recommending any of them, either ... since I don't own a Ozark to compare them with. Just explaining the difference in "actions" ... so you can make up your own mind if they're "whippy" or not (since I may not have the same definition of "whippy" as others).

I've handled good size fish on both of my Sam Heaton rods & my Huckabee rod (and not always Crappie) and have no complaints about them. I don't use the ESP PowerJig rod very much, since I don't do much vertical jigging and the extended handle (poodle tail) makes it cumbersome to use in a rod holder.

... luck2ya in your search !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I own two sam heatons 10/12 also own ozark........you wont like the Heatons they have half the backbone of your ozark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jigflip View Post
    I own two sam heatons 10/12 also own ozark........you wont like the Heatons they have half the backbone of your ozark

Thanks, that's what I figured. It's hard to find a fast action rod over ten foot that is lightweight.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    If it is basically the same rod as the original Sam Heaton Signature Series (as BnM claims) it has a parabolic bend action (slow action) which means it bends more in the middle section of the rod.

I have a 7' SHSigSeries and a 10' SHSupSensitive ... and they both have the parabolic bend and bend in the middle. My 10' Huckabee Dippin rod is virtually the same action. But, my 9' ESP PowerJig rod has a fast action tip, and bends more towards the end 1/4 of the rod.

Rod action chart -

I'm not dissing any of these rods, nor specifically recommending any of them, either ... since I don't own a Ozark to compare them with. Just explaining the difference in "actions" ... so you can make up your own mind if they're "whippy" or not (since I may not have the same definition of "whippy" as others).

I've handled good size fish on both of my Sam Heaton rods & my Huckabee rod (and not always Crappie) and have no complaints about them. I don't use the ESP PowerJig rod very much, since I don't do much vertical jigging and the extended handle (poodle tail) makes it cumbersome to use in a rod holder.

... luck2ya in your search !!

... cp

Thanks for the illustration! I have had a few slow action rods and I ended up getting rid of all of them. When I first started casting for Crappie, (devout single-poler!) I hit my local tackle/bait store in search of a rod that would cast light jigs a pretty good distance. They recommended a Berkley Trout rod. You could tie that thing in a knot! A 6" Crappie felt like a 2 pounder on that thing! I also bought into the hype about the 10' rear seat Ozarks. Super light, but pretty weak imo. I fish a lot of Cypress trees and shoreline cover, so I like a rod that wont give too much when I set the hook.
    Last edited by Cmj; 10-29-2015 at 07:54 AM.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Post Thanks / Like

CMJ, you might want to try BnM Custom Bottom Reel Seat in 10-12ft size. This pole has a feast tip and super backbone for jerking some lips out of the heavy stuff. Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
    CMJ, you might want to try BnM Custom Bottom Reel Seat in 10-12ft size. This pole has a feast tip and super backbone for jerking some lips out of the heavy stuff. Good fishing.

How is the weight on the 11 and 12 footers? I have plenty of 10 foot poles.
    ><}}}}*> (C.J.)

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

the b/m classic with bottom seat if you fishing shallow . If jigging deep brush and need a spinning reel opt. for middle reel seat . the Sam Heaton series are nice also.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the 11' for several years now and have even had no problems
    I don't try to lift the fish in the boat by this pole I grab the line and lift them in.
    This fish was caught on the 11' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1446401769199.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  41.3 KB
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff