Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting backing/casting line on a spinning reel - a new way to spool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Putting backing/casting line on a spinning reel - a new way to spool

For those that prefer not to use backing, ignore this topic. If so, replies not welcome.

I can't see putting good line on an empty spool only to cast the top 15 yards or so. I don't troll with a long line but if I did, I would still use this method:

Use 10# or less line you don't care for or that's cheap, as backing (line closest to the spool).

Fill to a bit over 3/4 of spool diameter. ( *Hand wind the upper part of the spool ever so often to eliminate a line/spool gap.)

Apply packing tape (plastic tape with nylon fibers) after you cut off the line end and spool the casting line. The end is not tied to the casting line because you also place the end of the casting line under the tape - again, no knot-to-knot. (The casting line should always be a good braid with leader, a good mono or fc.

Load up the good line the rest of the way. It could be a good braid with leader or a good mono or fc.

ABU Garcia has a new reel out that has a spool which features: a reverse corkscrew design which allows anglers to tie braid directly to the spool, eliminating the need for backing.

Just be sure the backing line is spooled firmly and evenly. If 10# test diameter is too large, use 8#.

I've found that when the line gets shorter and shorter (having been cut off so many times) and for whatever reason spools less tight (usually casting light lures into the wind), the end-to-end knot catches, resulting in loops on the spool that result in a line mess.

A spool of good line goes much further especially if you're like me and change the casting line once a month or every two. But most important is mess-free casting when using backing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    The end is not tied to the casting line because you also place the end of the casting line under the tape - again, no knot-to-knot.
    So, the only thing securing the casting line to the reel is a piece of tape?

Post Thanks / Like

If your using a premium braid, why change monthly?

And I can vision a signature for the future moderator of the no knot fishing forum coming shortly.
    Likes Luvfatslabs, RetiredRR, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Abu Spinner and use braid...NICE!
    But I just fill it full and cut off any damaged line....
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    For those that prefer not to use backing, ignore this topic. If so, replies not welcome.

I can't see putting good line on an empty spool only to cast the top 15 yards or so. I don't troll with a long line but if I did, I would still use this method:

Use 10# or less line you don't care for or that's cheap, as backing (line closest to the spool).

Fill to a bit over 3/4 of spool diameter. ( *Hand wind the upper part of the spool ever so often to eliminate a line/spool gap.)

Apply packing tape (plastic tape with nylon fibers) after you cut off the line end and spool the casting line. The end is not tied to the casting line because you also place the end of the casting line under the tape - again, no knot-to-knot. (The casting line should always be a good braid with leader, a good mono or fc.

Load up the good line the rest of the way. It could be a good braid with leader or a good mono or fc.

ABU Garcia has a new reel out that has a spool which features: a reverse corkscrew design which allows anglers to tie braid directly to the spool, eliminating the need for backing.

Just be sure the backing line is spooled firmly and evenly. If 10# test diameter is too large, use 8#.

I've found that when the line gets shorter and shorter (having been cut off so many times) and for whatever reason spools less tight (usually casting light lures into the wind), the end-to-end knot catches, resulting in loops on the spool that result in a line mess.

A spool of good line goes much further especially if you're like me and change the casting line once a month or every two. But most important is mess-free casting when using backing.
    Last time I checked this was an open forum, and everyone has the right to their opinion, unless unruly or an attack. Guess it is time to add you to the ignore button. Peace out

Post Thanks / Like

No one said they couldn't reply, just that replies that express an opinion like, "never use backing - what's the point?" or " just use good line and backing isn't need", go against the grain of the topic and aren't welcome by me. Reply whatever you want - that right is protected by the constitution - just not welcome if it distracts those considering using it and appreciate the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I must be doing something wrong , I haven't change line in , I don't remember ! Berkley for me LOL RR

Post Thanks / Like

i've put a piece of tape over the knot where you join the two lines, and it's worked well.
    i've also skipped the part of using line for backing, and applied thin strips of mylar to a empty spool.
    keep building up the mylar to your desired depth...

Post Thanks / Like

I know everyone has a preferred method but I have always used cheap mono for backing and tied a uni-uni knot to my braid and never had an issue.
    Likes crappielimits, SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to mention when using backing: make the casting line 10-15' longer than the distance of your maximum cast with say a 1/8 oz. jig. Lines break or get knotted bad and need to be cut off so you don't want the spool under-filled.
    I follow the old tip that the line should be 1/8" less than the spool's front edge; any more than that invites major tangles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast