Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: shooting docks

Post Thanks / Like

Default shooting docks

I would like to here what length rod, action med, med fast, fast, micro guide or not and line type, lure wt you guys like to use brand doesn't matter as i will build my own on a custom rod builder blank probaly batson forecast or MHX blank.

Post Thanks / Like

6'6" or 7' medium light. 1/16 oz. or 1/8 oz. head depending on lure size. 6lb. test Vicious high vis panfish line.
    Likes goggle-eye LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOZ Targa View Post
    6'6" or 7' medium light. 1/16 oz. or 1/8 oz. head depending on lure size. 6lb. test Vicious high vis panfish line.
    What he said except shooting with a 1/8 oz head is more difficult. Vicious hi vis is awsome line but I do like braid as well. I only use weedless heads bc you will get wrapped up on the underside of docks. I rarely lose a jig using a weedless head. Tubes are good to shoot with bc they fall slower.
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2
    Likes goggle-eye LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting thread with lots of opinions where you might get some info

Post Thanks / Like

Well as one trying to figure out this dock shooting thing I can tell you this much. I am moving on to possibly my 4th rod all work for other dock shooters not me. I might just not have the knack for this type of fishing so if you can I would try out a few other rods that good dock shooters use and see what fits you best. Good part is I now have a few fine rods to fish with just not so much dock shooting as dock clanging.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes as the water cools down at 32oz head works wonders as they are looking for a slow drop. Agree with the 6'6" to 7' ML rod. I seem to have better control with that size, than a 5 to 6' rod.
    Likes LSL Angler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wharfrat View Post
    Sometimes as the water cools down at 32oz head works wonders as they are looking for a slow drop. Agree with the 6'6" to 7' ML rod. I seem to have better control with that size, than a 5 to 6' rod.
    Totally agree the longer rod with a stiff back bone is way better....I shoot with a 6' 6" med light BPS bionic blade and it is great but does not cast a crappie jig that well. I wanted to find a rod the shoots and casts well so I don't have to keep changing rods from shoot to cast. I recently got a 6' 6" med light BPS carbon light and I think I'm gonna like it better. Light as can be feels great in my hand....paired with a Pflueger President 6930
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help I have a blank that's been laying around I'm going to cut down to between 6 1/2 and 7 ft it's a bass spinning blank should work pretty well I hope but it will work for something.