Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most sensitive rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Most sensitive rod question

I'd like a 12' to 14' two piece rod to only jig fish with period. I would like to have the most sensitive rod out there and why you think your choice is the best. Who makes it and thanks for any of your opinions.

I got money to burn. :D

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

The most sensitive pole I have ever used is a B&M BBUL pole. Easy to break the tips, but one of the most sensitive poles I have ever seen.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    I'd like a 12' to 14' two piece rod to only jig fish with period. I would like to have the most sensitive rod out there and why you think your choice is the best. Who makes it and thanks for any of your opinions.

Larry
    When reading the title of your post I thought I gotten on the wrong board there for a second. lol
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Larry
    Larry, I'm not a jigger however I recently started using BnM Sam's Super Sensitive 12" poles because they are light in weight. They would be outstanding for jigging. I also got a couple of Richard Williams 7.5' Signature Series. If the 12 footers are anything like these, they would also be great for jigging. Just my opinion.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Larry

I would have to say of the rods I have used to jig fish with . The 12' Sam Heaton Super Sensitive made by BnM has to be the most sensitive rod I have ever used. One thing to consider though is the fact they the tips can break fairly easy. I manage to break one every year. I keep buying replacement tips for them though because I can't find any other rod that can match it's sensitivty. A close second choice would be the 10'6" Browning Noodle rod or the 9' Wally Marshall signature series. A lot of people on this board don't like cork handles but, for me personally, when I look for a sensitive rod, Cork handles are a must
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my B'n'M Buck's Ultimate, but I think they only come up to 10'. Mine's an 8', because anything bigger that's a 2 piece rod has difficulty fitting in my Corolla. I have a 2 piece 11' Ugly Stik surfcaster, and that only fits if I jam it in the cabin at a certain angle between the back seat and the front seat window. I doubt if I could go any longer.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Larry
    I have a 10.5' St. Croix, that is sensitive and strong. I use it with light line and small jigs/bobber setup. Have caught lots of big fish using this pole and never broke a tip. Not as light as my B&M's, but i got use to the extra weight. I even use it to slow troll with. Paid $120. for it 4 years ago and its still holding up. Went back to it after trying b&m's and getting tired of breaking tip sections. Not a crappie rod only, but a darn good rod for any species.

Post Thanks / Like

You got me to thinking with this question. All the manufactures talk about how they use sensitive material in the rod blanks etc. But we don't hold the rod by the blank ( Well I don't always hold it by the actually rod blank section). We hold the rod by the handle for the most part. Now most handles are made out of foam these days and the more expensive rods have cork handles. Now you never hear anyone talking about how senstive the Foam handles are. You read that they are soft and confortable and that they conform to your hands like a glove etc. I think that we defeat the senitivity of the rod when we put a foam handle on it.

Heck I used foam on my weed eater to DECREASE the vibrations so that I could use the sucker all day long without getting Carpel Tunnel Syndrone. It worked too.

Foam handles and cork handles are going to deaden vibrations. No one can tell me that cork transmits vibration like a graphite rod blank and keep a straight face.

Does anyone remmber the BORON rods that they tried to sell back in the early 1980's? Boron was suppost to be superior to Graphite. But Boron fell by the wayside.

With all this said I still use a Graphite rod and I try my best to hold onto the fishing line in front of my reel so that I can feel bites better. This is one reason why I have a problem fishing with two rods at one time. I don't have a rod holder and I am more comfortable with just one rod. Another reason why I dont' fish tournaments LOL
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

It's become popular, at least in this area, to leave the blank exposed in an area of the handle. My W.W.Grigg salmon/bottomfish baitcasting rod has a bare spot right in front of the horn, where your finger would natrually rest while holding it.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Moose is right on

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    You got me to thinking with this question. All the manufactures talk about how they use sensitive material in the rod blanks etc. But we don't hold the rod by the blank ( Well I don't always hold it by the actually rod blank section). We hold the rod by the handle for the most part. Now most handles are made out of foam these days and the more expensive rods have cork handles. Now you never hear anyone talking about how senstive the Foam handles are. You read that they are soft and confortable and that they conform to your hands like a glove etc. I think that we defeat the senitivity of the rod when we put a foam handle on it.

Heck I used foam on my weed eater to DECREASE the vibrations so that I could use the sucker all day long without getting Carpel Tunnel Syndrone. It worked too.

Foam handles and cork handles are going to deaden vibrations. No one can tell me that cork transmits vibration like a graphite rod blank and keep a straight face.

Does anyone remmber the BORON rods that they tried to sell back in the early 1980's? Boron was suppost to be superior to Graphite. But Boron fell by the wayside.

With all this said I still use a Graphite rod and I try my best to hold onto the fishing line in front of my reel so that I can feel bites better. This is one reason why I have a problem fishing with two rods at one time. I don't have a rod holder and I am more comfortable with just one rod. Another reason why I dont' fish tournaments LOL

GREAT POST MOOSE
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast