Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Water temp dropping by the week - seems patterns are a thing of the recent past

Post Thanks / Like

Default Water temp dropping by the week - seems patterns are a thing of the recent past

55 degrees and dropping/ water clearing a bit. The lake I fished today is 4' deep to the north and 14 feet near the dam. A friend caught many from shore in 6'; we caught some in 8' far from shore though scattered. Quality size perch were more cooperative everywhere but crappie less so like they were when the water was in the low 60's. What gives?

It was nice to catch a few 11" crappie though and on different lure designs, sizes and colors.Name:  thin lure design_wind Hills.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  35.5 KBName:  blk chart tail wind  hills.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  31.8 KBName:  grn pump-chart tail - wind hills.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  24.5 KB

It wasn't nice to have to put up with a 12mph 50 degree wind all day long!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-23-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking catch. I suspect the fish are in the shallows where the water temps are higher. Did you turn on the AC when the temps dropped? Did you close the windows and/or fire up the furnace to take the edge off the cold? Fish do the same thing, they find warm water to feed in preparation for winter. Humans pack on pounds in preparation for winter. When winter hits, fish go lethargic, a pseudo hibernation. Look for them in shallow water.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

ours do the same thing ....transitioning from the fall feed up to the winter hangouts ....below 60 water temps and above 50 water temps seem to scatter them here in many of the spots i hit .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

The lake is still in the process of turnover and the temp didn't vary by one degree no matter the depth we fished.
    55.5 - that's it.

I disagree with the theory that fish pack on the pounds - like a bear just before hibernating for winter. Fish feed at a rate that depends on its metabolism which depends on water temperature. A fish eats far more when the water temp is above 70 than at 32 or even at 50 (fall water temperature). Energy consumption is reduced as the water temperature drops, so fish suspend, moving around less, eating less.

Feeding frenzies in fall are not the norm in my area, but I have experience them in winter under the ice when a large school is found. The strikes were powerful and over 60 crappie caught rotating among a dozen holes in a large circle. Right place right time and place, right lure and presentation. (I used a 2" chartreuse tube to catch all crappie that afternoon.)

(At least the jewels were kept reasonably warm yesterday with thermal underwear. Ear muffs would have been welcome.)
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-24-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

was it overcast the day you used the chart ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Most definitely! Air temp a balmy 37 degrees, no wind.