Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Favorite jigs?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite jigs?

What are your favorite jigs while fishing tidal rivers?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, IBN......I've got 6 rod holders mounted on the port side of my old scow, and will get 6 more mounted on the starboard tomorrow. Thanks for the pics of your boat, it helped me get started on how I wanted to rig mine.

Sorry I can't help with your question on tidal rivers, don't think I've ever fished one, but good luck with it anyway........

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Hey, IBN......I've got 6 rod holders mounted on the port side of my old scow, and will get 6 more mounted on the starboard tomorrow. Thanks for the pics of your boat, it helped me get started on how I wanted to rig mine.

Sorry I can't help with your question on tidal rivers, don't think I've ever fished one, but good luck with it anyway........

Bill, post a pic when you get it done. I'm always looking for a way to improve it.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Bii H., I have been fishing basically the same water type as you for the last 10 years for crappie and I have never noticed a difference between jig types. I have noticed that I do better with charteuse for color. I have never had much luck without a minnow and sometimes I seem to do better with no jig at all. Last sun. I caught 80% on a gold hook with minnow and split shot while trolling, poking, bumping, strolling,or whatever you call it.

I have noticed that color can make a big difference at Buggs but it changes from day to day.

By the way, since you don't use your plain poles any longer do you have any that you want to get rid of?

Are you fishing tomorrow and Sun?
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel hunter
    Bii H., I have been fishing basically the same water type as you for the last 10 years for crappie and I have never noticed a difference between jig types. I have noticed that I do better with charteuse for color. I have never had much luck without a minnow and sometimes I seem to do better with no jig at all. Last sun. I caught 80% on a gold hook with minnow and split shot while trolling, poking, bumping, strolling,or whatever you call it.

I have noticed that color can make a big difference at Buggs but it changes from day to day.

By the way, since you don't use your plain poles any longer do you have any that you want to get rid of?

Are you fishing tomorrow and Sun?
    Will probably go Sunday but not sure where yet. As of last Sunday, Gail's bait and tackle didn't have the new Va license in yet. I wonder if they are in now?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished tidal water in about 20 years. My favorite jig back then was a 2" chartruse curly tail on a 1/16 oz red head. These days, I slow troll tube jigs most of the time. The color combination I use most is chartruse/black/chartruse. 1/16 ounce head and either 1-1/2" or 2" tube. I have some 1" tubes on the way to use with 1/32 ounce heads for the cold water. With four to six rods out, I can try different sizes, colors, and depths to find the active fish.

If the weather cooperates, I plan to try some tidal water this Sunday - Morris Creek off the Chickahominy River. There are several deeper holes around the bends in the creek that should hold fish.

My last three trips during my time off over the Holidays have not been productive. Twice to Beaverdam and once to Chickahominy Reservoir. Those three trips have produced two fish. A small crappie at Beaverdam and a small white perch at Chickahominy. The pressure has been high and I think the fish have lockjaw because of it.

You can purchase your VA license online through VDGIF if the local places don't have them. Just be aware that there is a $2.00 processing fee for the online purchase.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Keith and thanks for the license info. I had forgotten about being able to get them on-line. I used to bass fish Morris creek back in the days I could cast all day. Use to do quite well there. I don't remember crappie fishing there so will be curious how you do. I have crappie fished across the river in Greys creek. We used to catch some nice ones but the problem was they would only bite for a short time. I think it was just as the tide started out. Hopefully the pressure will be down this weekend.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I like tube jigs. 1/16 or 1/32 ounce heads. colors range on conditions. clear to slightly stained I like red, blue, green,purple in combination with chatreuse or hot pink and white. In black tannin water to muddy water I like dark colors but I like blaze orange in the dark or muddy waters as well. CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I see that tubes are mentioned a bit. What kind of tubes would you use? Does anybody use the little spinners? I caught some bream in Texas over Christmas using a little 1/16 oz spinner with a plastic minnow on it. Would this work for crappie?

Harwood Mill is the closest fresh water to me and I fish there a bit but have never caught a crappie there. Has anybody else caught crappie there?
    Gary H

Hampton, Virginia

Post Thanks / Like

Dusty,

I use 1", 1.5", and 2" tubes made either by BPS or Southern Pro (sold by Cabela's). I also use #0 or #1 wilow leaf spinners when the water is muddy and I need extra vibration and flash.

I hear there are crappie in Harwoods Mill, but hardly ever fish there and have not caught any when I did fish there.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award