Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Barkely Report. Good read!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Barkely Report. Good read!

Never caught a single crappie.
    When the North Wind Blows....Go home.
    But had a blast with my buddy Bill. He and I caught a ton of White Bass.
    Fished in Ford's Bay.
    I want to say a BIG Thank You to those that warned me about winter pool.
    Found areas that went from 15 foot to near dry dock.
    In fact, listen to this one. We were the only ones on Ford's Bay. Until a Bass Boat launched
    and we watched them fish the shore for a bit then decided it wasn't the place for them. Flew by
    us at around 75 feet at high speed. Yep, heading for the river. Well we had scoped out the Bay for shallow
    water. They did not. When they hit the mud flat (1 to 2 feet) they came to an abrupt stop.
    When they flew by me I told Bill watch this. They buried the boat. Nice bass boat with larger motor.
    No one got hurt or thrown. Buried the motor and was not able to raise the motor. Stuck for sure.
    So my buddy Bill says "lets go see if they are alright". I said "yea right". Fly by me that close.
    Bill is a retired cop. So we went. Got over by them and asked if they wanted a ride to the shore.
    They said no thanks, they called another buddy for help. OK, if you need us we will be right over there
    fishing. About an hour later and two long anchor ropes they got pulled out. Was a muddy boat for sure.
    Started right up and took off out the river. Never saw them again. I told my buddy Bill that they best be
    sure there water pump is working. Since they were alright I told Bill I wished I had a video of that.
    I have a flip phone and don't take pictures very well.
    So a BIG thank you to those that warned me of low tide.
    Chub

And if by chance that boat is on crappie.com Karma is tough. And I am glad you are ok.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-19-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    Likes Clint LIKED above post

Mayfield Ky close to Ky and Barkley Lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

Ford has some stumps in it that are 4 ft through. He better be glad it was just mud he hit .

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen more than one boat mar up on the very same flat in Ford's bay ...

I've seen motors nearly ripped off transoms on that one stump just across the creek channel from that same flat ...

Ford's is dangerous when not following the creek channel at winter pool ...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    I've seen more than one boat mar up on the very same flat in Ford's bay ...

I've seen motors nearly ripped off transoms on that one stump just across the creek channel from that same flat ...

Ford's is dangerous when not following the creek channel at winter pool ...

Rickie
    Rickie.
    What is interesting is we looked for a channel and could not find it. We went from the one point over to the stumps.
    Never was deeper than 3 feet. Just at the creek mouth is a shallow flat and as you enter Fords it drops to 15-17 feet
    then right up to 2 feet again.
    On a side note. Have you ever had luck in Fords for crappie. In two trips I have not caught crappie there.
    I caught most the crappie across the river at Donaldsons Creek. and in the Duck pond.
    Chub

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunterchub View Post
    Rickie.
    What is interesting is we looked for a channel and could not find it. We went from the one point over to the stumps.
    Never was deeper than 3 feet. Just at the creek mouth is a shallow flat and as you enter Fords it drops to 15-17 feet
    On a side note. Have you ever had luck in Fords for crappie. In two trips I have not caught crappie there.
    I caught most the crappie across the river at Donaldsons Creek. and in the Duck pond.
    Chub
    When you enter Ford's bay from the lake ...the creek channel follows that south bank for about 100 yards and then the creek channel makes a hard right toward the North for about another 100yards and then the creek channel opens up to the west ...

The fish attractor/+ icon in the image below (just to the west of my purple line) is the 4ft diameter stump right on the west side of the creek channel just 50 yards north of where the creek channel makes the hard turn to the North ...

(The creek channel I have marked in purple) ...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hunterchub View Post
    Rickie.
    Chub

If you don't want to divulge I can certainly understand and no hard feelings but I was wondering if you could offer me any tips of where you had any success on Donaldson Creek. I have fished there a lot these past few months and haven't caught one. I have caught some bass and catfish but zero crappie. I'm probably going again either this week or next for another few days and any advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're into spider riggin ...get on a specific depth contour of the south side of that creek channel and follow it like my purple track shows below ...

If you don't pick up fish ...backtrack that same path... but move the boat 2' deeper or shallower and stay on that depth contour the entire purple path ...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Retrieve View Post
    If you don't want to divulge I can certainly understand and no hard feelings but I was wondering if you could offer me any tips of where you had any success on Donaldson Creek. I have fished there a lot these past few months and haven't caught one. I have caught some bass and catfish but zero crappie. I'm probably going again either this week or next for another few days and any advice would be appreciated.
    I've only fished Donaldson 1 time so I don't have any tips for that bay except to find the creek channel ledge and follow it ...

Crappie should be migrating back into the bays from their summer river haunts to start the fall feeding stage and using the creek channel ledge as their highway ...

Rickie
    ------------—————

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    I've only fished Donaldson 1 time so I don't have any tips for that bay except to find the creek channel ledge and follow it ...

Crappie should be migrating back into the bays from their summer river haunts to start the fall feeding stage and using the creek channel ledge as their highway ...

Rickie
    Thank You I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Donaldson. Very defined creek channel to follow. I spider rig and troll Bandits along the channel. Everywhere is fair game at spring spawn time.
    I had hoped to get to Donaldson last weekend but wind wouldn't allow it. I had hoped the fish would have moved to shallower water. 6-8 feet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast