Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Kentucky Lake Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kentucky Lake Trip

Hello to all Kentucky crappie fishermen. Originally from Kentucky I now reside in South Carolina and mainly fish Clarkshill on the South Carolina Georgia border. My family and I have scheduled a trip to Kentucky Lake in early April and will be staying on Malcolm Creek. I know this is a little early to start asking questions but I'm getting pretty excited. Anyway, hows the spring time crappie population in the Malcolm creek area? Are there any areas close by that have produced some healthy catches? We've rented a boat dock at the resort but I am willing to trailer to the other side of the lake if needed. I just hope they will be spawning by the time we get there.

Also, to prevent any biased information, I will refrain from revealing whether I am a Wildcat or Cardinal fan until substantial information has been provided.

Tightlines to all,
    Procraft1780

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Kentucky Lake Trip

Alright, I'm a huge Louisville Cardinal fan. I still need some info though. Come on Kitty fans. You guys won this year, show a little mercy. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I could help you big but I've honestly never fished ky lake before. It's about a 3 1/2 hr drive from my house and I just haven't made it down there yet. I'll see if I can find some info for you, if I do I'll let you know. Wish ya the best.
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery

Quote Originally Posted by procraft1780
    Alright, I'm a huge Louisville Cardinal fan. I still need some info though. Come on Kitty fans. You guys won this year, show a little mercy. :D
    That whole area is good, both sides of the lake, and you will be there at the right time. Unless the wind is bad, you should be able to cross to the LBL side by boat. Make sure you have a map that shows the state installed fish attractors. Just watch the fishing reports on the web as the time approaches to have an idea where they are.
    I can give you a firm weather report for the first part of April, because my step-son is getting married the 9th, which really screws up my flexibility this year. If my normal luck holds, it will be mild up until the 10th, when a major cold front will drop temperatures and turn off the bite. The exact date of the cold front will depend on when my brother-in-law can get off work. It usually hits after we leave home, but before we get the boat in the water.
    I told him getting married in April is a mistake. Who wants an anniversary during fishing seaason?

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to order a Kentucky Lake map online soon so I can start studying it. What is a good one to look for? I learned that some maps are outdated and/or lacking important information.

captainbezerko Guest

Smile Where's the fish?

Quote Originally Posted by procraft1780
    Anyway, hows the spring time crappie population in the Malcolm creek area? Are there any areas close by that have produced some healthy catches?
    Well procraft, to be honest with you, Malcolm creek is pretty shallow. If you spend enough time in the Big Bear area you'll find more structure than you can fish. If they're spawning Malcolm isn't a bad place, but not the best. I would try the shallower edges of the Big Bear main bay. By April, (if the weather is decent), all you'll have to do is watch the other boats.....they'll be there if the fish are.
    The best maps are the Hydrografx maps. You can find them online to order at: www.kentuckyhydrografx.com
    They are in CD format. He hasn't published anything in a fold out map as of yet. If you're looking for a foldout map, almost anything that they sell in the area is ok. The newer GPS maps are pretty decent. They sell them at Wal-Mart. Good luck and good fishing, hope you catch a bunch!