Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question on Boat Repair

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Boat Repair

I own a 1993 console steering(Grumman)crappie boat. I have noticed that over the years that where the boat rides over the runners on the trailer the paint has worn off. I know that if I don't do something soon that the runners will eventually wear possibly a whole in the bottom. I have thought about jacking the boat up off the trailer and painting the bottem with some type of marine paint. Please any and all suggestins are very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If the carpet is worn off the runners. Measure your runners and make some new ones. Then put your boat in the water and take the old ones off. Carry a cordless drill and replace the worn runners.

Post Thanks / Like

Repainting might look nice,but I doubt paint will stop a hole from developing.Probably just normal wear and tear.I don't think its anything to worry about.You could also add teflon strips to the runners,or switch to rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

the wider and longer your trailer bunks are, the better they are on the bottom of your boat. The bunks distribute the weight of the boat. Course you need carpet on them for padding. The paint on the bottom of your boat is for show and tell. the aluminum bottom will be ok if you have good bunks with carpet on them. teflon strips or rollers are hard and very unforgiving. I have seen lots of aluminum boats with damaged bottoms from bouncing on rollers and hard bunks. lol

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i would stick to bunks and a heavy smooth houshold carpet will be best . you you could git some used carpet from a carpet installer . the thicker houshold carpet will padd the bunks better . with a light aluminum boat you need to strap the back down so it wan`t bounce .
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I'd replace with carpeted wider runners. and you will be okay!
    To repaint, you probably would have to re-etch, or replace the profile that the old runners wore off. an improperly applied phosphoric bath can ruin a perfectly good hull.
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everybody, I sure do thank ya'll for the information. I have already replaaced the runners and carpet. That is when I noticed the wear and tear. I am sure glad that I contacted my friends here on Crappie.com because I was mighty close to paionting the bottom. Listening to ya'll I have now decided to let it go. It hasn't been that long since I replaced the runners and put on new carpet. Thank ya'll and GOD bless all of you at Crappie.com.