Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crappie our deep on the bottom - what to use ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default crappie our deep on the bottom - what to use ?

hey guys,
    been drop shotting crappie in 18-20fow. i have one hook 18'' off the bottom, and another about 4' off the bottom.
    all the fish are coming from the bottom hook. i can also see them on the graph, on the bottom.
    i'm using Gulp 2.5'' minnow, and 2'' stinger shads. the Gulp is producing the best.

looking for ideas for anything else i should be trying, or what you have good luck with in these conditions.

thx alot, appreciate any tips.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If'n it ain't broken, don't fix it !!

I'd keep doin' whatcha doin' until it ain't doin' no longer

And if they come up off the bottom & suspend a little higher in the water column, try this :

Crappie Pappy Article

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

so your use of the term "drop shotting" means you use a sinker under the jigs ? that's my first question ?
    second why so far apart on the baits ? 2 baits closer to the fish will induce many more bites
    third is there cover on the bottom ?
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Good read CrappiePappy.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 10-15-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Bobby Garland Baby Shad, blue thunder, monkey milk , blue ice., firecracker, with good results.

Post Thanks / Like

first, Pappy thx for the article, i'll try it.
    Ketchn, yes weight on the bottom. i ran one hook high for any suspending fish. but only caught a few on it.
    so was going to redoe my rigs today with them closer together. that was my thinking too. glad to hear you say that...
    theres not many weeds in this lake at all. they weed spray them all out. :-( it's a big tourist lake.

thx guys for the other tips too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    so your use of the term "drop shotting" means you use a sinker under the jigs ? that's my first question ?
    second why so far apart on the baits ? 2 baits closer to the fish will induce many more bites
    third is there cover on the bottom ?

Post Thanks / Like

You could also try removing the bottom weight and replace it with a heavy jig....drop all the way down and then bring it up one turn....then another. A 1/4 oz jig with a 3" soft plastic will catch a lot of bottom hugging fish.

Post Thanks / Like

good idea. i do a ton of drop shotting for smallies, and panfish, and always done it like i do.
    i am dragging the weight as i drift or troll along slow, and thought the weight on the bottom is a must.
    but since i don't have weeds, and the bottom is hard, a jig on the bottom would definitely catch me more
    fish then a weight. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    You could also try removing the bottom weight and replace it with a heavy jig....drop all the way down and then bring it up one turn....then another. A 1/4 oz jig with a 3" soft plastic will catch a lot of bottom hugging fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Call me an ole' fashioned meat fisherman, but my favorite approach to deep crappie is the Carolina rig with about a 8 to 10" leader line and a 1.O gold aberdeen hook dropped until you feel the weight hit the bottom... then bring it up about 1 to two turns of the reel handle and let the live minnow make the presentation for you.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

People been fishing with a "drop shot" rig for crappie for 75 years probably. Lot of of old timers use to use a sinker on bottom and double droppers with live minnow and or jig or a combination. Typically the the first dropper was only 16 inches or so off the weight and the next one only up another 12 or so. And you could play with that a little.Sometimes they even used a 3/4 oz sinker or heavier or so to keep the line tight in rough water and to feel the brush top or bottom better.And to get down faster so they wasn't foolin around all day to get it down.

I heard a real good fisherman say yesterday that if you think color don't matter in jigs your spending too much time in the house.

Set up over a brush pile with marked fish and find something they bite fast when it gets down there. I use minnow profile and such casting but verticle I usually do okay with tube or marabou jigs. Use one minnow and one jig if you really want to get serious.

And I have caught some fish too drop shotting those gulp minnows , and not just crappie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast