Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Small water craft project

Post Thanks / Like

Default Small water craft project

My neighbor and I have been working on a two man boat for small electric only waters. The boat is finished and maiden voyage done everything worked as it should. He is my issue now, the next project with this craft is a gas motor. He had hidden for years in his attic a Tanaka 3.5. we pulled it down added some mixed gas out of weed eater fuel and 3 pulls it cranked. Didn't have owners manual (I down loaded it ) it is telling us to use their oil?, which I cant find, or a B.I.A.T.C. approved oil? 5-1/2 oz to a gal. has anyone used these motors and how did you mix the oil? After initial running of the motor it wont crank now? but it is not seized up. does anyone here think we may have messed the motor up not using the 50-1 ratio never ran it long just surprised it crank after sitting for 10 years. Im all ears if you have some advise thanks LB
    A Proud member of Lake Allatoona and Lake Weiss (Team Geezer)

Post Thanks / Like

Try replacing the spark plug first. I would not think that the weed eater gas and oil mix would hurt it as they use a richer oil mix like 40:1 than a 50:1. I always use a higher mix more oil is better than not enough. A sparkplug is hard to tell if it has went bad but a new one will be a cheap first fix that anyone can do. They are 3 things that all motors have to have. Spark (fire) gas and compression for combustion if you have all this something is supposed to happen. The 2 cycle oil is for lubrication of the motor and some manufacturers even recommend to double the oil if the motor is to be worked hard under a load. Next thing to check will be to see if it is getting fire(spark). If you have fire then you need to check to see if it is getting the gas. You can take a small amount of gas mixture and pour in carburetor. If it cranks and runs a little after doing this you know then that there is a trouble with the carb. or fuel getting to motor. These are easy things to check if none of this works you may need to find a boat motor service man. Now understand I am no boat mechanic so I stand to be wrong on all of this but this has always worked for me.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes vic n, Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a chance, post a few pics of the boat. I like seeing others ingenuity and creativity !

Post Thanks / Like

Had one a quite awhile back, awesome but loud motor. Don't remember what I was using for oil, but I did find info on the 'net about the oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Found a Hitachi dealer and got some help! Ecco oil is fine 2.6 per gal. mixture. the service guy thinks its the carburetor, I will check the spark this evening, I think its fouling the spark plug now every time...may need to clean the carb. thanks everyone

Post Thanks / Like

5 1/2 ounces to a gallon is about a 25-1 ratio. A 50-1 would be 2 1/2 ounces to a gallon.
    maybe with today's 2stroke oils a 50-1 oil mix is ok for your motor but the recommended oil was 25-1.

Post Thanks / Like

Up date, no spark, the electronic's is the issue. It has a transistorized electronic ignitor. May have a parts issue? Will keep you updated