Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Umbrella nets....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Umbrella nets....

I'm sure all y'all pros know this already but... I got a umbrella net and have tried fish food, dog food, potted meat, you name it to catch minnows. Well and old man the other day said use flour?? I said what. He told me to make a paste. Well today I tried it and caught all the minnows I will need tomorrow. I will see if caught ones are better than bought ones..

Post Thanks / Like

For years, all my dad used was a slice or two of plain ol' white bread. He caught all the minnows he wanted.
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad and Gpa always used sliced bread, or saltine crackers.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

I will say caught minnows are cheaper than bought ones. Also if they are caught from the same water you are fishing the fish seem to like them better also and they stay livelier. I think it is because it is there natural food and they are use to seeing it everyday and know they are a meal just waiting for the taking. I use a 5' cast net in 1/4" mesh with real good results. Always be careful when catching bait from other places not to release something that you won't want in that lake later like carp,etc.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Born2fizh View Post
    I'm sure all y'all pros know this already but... I got a umbrella net and have tried fish food, dog food, potted meat, you name it to catch minnows. Well and old man the other day said use flour?? I said what. He told me to make a paste. Well today I tried it and caught all the minnows I will need tomorrow. I will see if caught ones are better than bought ones..
    My Granpa always used oat meal. Take a hand full and wet it, squeeze into a ball and place in center of net. They love it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979