Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lews Press Camp 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lews Press Camp 2015

Article by Paul and Vonna Pauls
    Photos by Paul

Slab’s hectic schedule allowed me the great pleasure of officially representing crappie.com at a Lew’s Press Camp this week on Kentucky Lake at FishTale Lodge. I arrived on Tuesday afternoon just as many of the pros were coming off the lake. Imagine how cool it was to see such well known anglers as Jay Yelas, Denny Brauer, Kevin VanDam, David Fritts, Mark Menendez, Mark Rose and of course, Wally Marshall, just to name a few.

Tuesday evening kicked off with a meet, greet and eat and pairings for the next morning on the water. Never having been to an event like this, I was just soaking it all up and happy to be part of the fellowship that evening. I happened to be sitting across from Brad Knight, an FLW pro for 7 years, who had just come off his first tournament win ($500,000). Jay Yelas came over to congratulate Brad and sat down next to me. Jay is a Bassmaster Classic champion and has been a pro fisherman for 28 years with over $2 million in winnings. He asked me some questions about crappie fishing and shared salmon fishing pictures from his home in Oregon. As I sat listening to their stories about the lakes they’ve fished, it hit me that no matter if you’re a “pro” or a recreational fisherman, no matter how long you’ve been fishing or how much money you’ve won, there’s always camaraderie among fisherman . . . . . even green carp guys.

I was paired with Wally Marshall for the first outing on Wednesday morning. As y’all know, he’s a dock shooting pro and I was happy to get a lesson from him. He was using his new Pro Series IM 8 rod with the split grip cork handle paired with his WSP 100 spinning reel for dock shooting. Later, he was single poling a sausage head jig on a Solo Series crappie rod with a Solo reel.

Name:  1382 dock shoot.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  62.5 KBName:  1380 jig.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  83.3 KBName:  1391 W with fish.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  61.8 KB

Even though I’m not a bass fisherman, I got to go out with Stephen Browning, B.A.S.S. pro, as well. He showed me an area that was full of grass beds that I didn’t even know existed in that part of the lake. We talked about how he balances his home life with being on the road so much. He said that without the support of his wife and family, he wouldn’t be able to do what he does. He also enjoys bow hunting and we talked about his hunts with his 13 year old son, who shares his love of the outdoors.
    Name:  1429 Browning.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  38.4 KB

I spent just a short time on the water with Mark Rose. For those that don’t know, he’s an FLW pro who enjoys crappie fishing. He made sure we got at least a little bit of time on the water before he had to leave, which was a great gesture. He had some mechanical issues to address on his outboard before heading on to Georgia for the Major League fishing tournament.
    Name:  1438 Rose.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  61.1 KB

Lew’s has some really cool stuff coming out for 2016 and we got to check out the products. Their new Custom Lite Speed Stick really is super light and the grip is comfortable. The new Laser MG Speed Spool reel with 8 ball bearings, zero reverse and graphite frame is quite smooth and light as well. Lew’s President, Gary Remensnyder, talked about the extensive product testing that the new reels went through to insure a quality product.

Name:  1460 Lew's Pres.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  59.2 KBName:  1457 Lew's products.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  47.1 KB

Also, I wanted to let y’all know about the Lew’s American Hero Program. They have an American Hero product line that supports our veterans through sales of the American Hero Products. If you’d like to learn more, go to www.Lews.com/AmericanHero

And, last but not least, pics of me and the pros!
    Name:  1447 Browning & Paul.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  36.7 KBName:  Marshall & Paul.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  38.9 KBName:  Rose & Paul.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  34.5 KB
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

How awesome that musta been. Jealous for sure. Thsnks fer sharing.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really cool!!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great time. Thanks for representing us at the event.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

All this fun in the course of the day, and married to Vonna to boot. You're just a lucky man Paul. Looks like a great event to be a part of.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good deal Paul.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    All this fun in the course of the day, and married to Vonna to boot. You're just a lucky man Paul. Looks like a great event to be a part of.
    I knew I liked you!!!
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!
    Likes Cane Pole, Tn Johnboy, blueball LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story and very well written Paul. You should have been a Writer.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Cane Pole, Tn Johnboy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Boy howdey that's cool
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job Paul you did a great job representing C.C.....I knew you would tho. See you later on this week at Enid
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast