Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Spoonminnow- why color works! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Default For Spoonminnow- why color works! :)

This is some of the research that I have been reading through about what fish see, colors, and how water color effects lure color....maybe it will help anyone interested!
    I know it is long but I have many, many, other pages that I left out!
    Hopefully it can be discussed as it applies to your home waters!

Most species of fish possess similar characteristics to those of humans...
    Read rest of article here: Exploding The Myths With Some Truths About Lure Color

Good Fishing!
    Brent
    Last edited by Slab; 10-08-2015 at 09:47 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the article. I've read my copy of Keith Jones, Knowing Bass 3x and I still reread certain chapters about fish senses. Fascinating to say the least, but I still wonder how it all can help anyone catch fish seeing as how little is applied science : the discipline dealing with the art or science of applying scientific knowledge to practical problems along with resulting solutions that are reproducible.
    For instance, the article says to use color X under certain conditions. It doesn't address all the colors that also work under those conditions. I can think of a dozen for each example.

All colors are visible under these bright conditions and if the fish are actively feeding on baitfish that are blue in color, then that's the color to use. MATCH THE HATCH!
    I figured you'd get that one in somewhere! LOL

Yet the simple fact is that blue is one color I never use to catch crappie, regardless of anyone's expertise and I've averaged over 50 fish of different species per outing all summer using a only few colors not mentioned. (BTW, black with glitter rarely shows off the glitter; the same for any opaque soft plastic color. This comes from a lure maker who has poured many colors and flake combinations and tried to get red glitter to flash in black without success.

I do appreciate the physics of color in various waters and at different depths which also begs the question: exactly what do fish see in stained water 12' down in early evening?!
    Water color filter plus low light = what color? If fish are supposed to feed on lures matching a color to a prey, what happens when the actual color appears gray under those conditions? Ditto for tannin stained water under a moonless night or even if a lantern is hung overboard where all fish see looking up is a dark underside - no color.

Every angler on this forum has his or her favorite or confidence colors which rarely disappoint. I have a small collection of colors I take and if my most preferred one doesn't seem to produce 1. at that time of day, 2. in that part of the lake, 3. under a sky that may change in the next hour, 4. using a certain presentation depending on cover and 5. and for a certain lure design ..... I change to another and flip a coin to decide which.

Color choice shouldn't be based on rocket science. It's pretty much a no-brainer for all species of predator fish that mostly strike lures according to the saying, action speaks louder than color (lure action and imparted action that is...)

But thanks again for the article. Most of it agrees with K. Jones' treatise on color - one I always keep handy before I .....flush.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-07-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well written, researched and very informative!
    Likes Cmj LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

gonna take me a couple days to finish that one.

Here is one to think about. I mostly cast fish and retrieve(it just what I'm into for now) While retrieving a lure in clear to fairly clear water you will catch fish following your lure. I figured out after enough of that...it isn't just about a fish seeing your lure...but it has to look right to them also. I always know if I see a few fish following my lure,I have to change up something just a little,as soon as I start getting bit instead of followed a lot...I have figured out a key. When the fish hit it pretty much as quick as it's in the zone with out a lot of short strikes...then it looks right to them .

Fish will look over your lure ... not just look for it.
    Likes INTIMIDATOR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Thanks so much for the article. I've read my copy of Keith Jones, Knowing Bass 3x and I still reread certain chapters about fish senses. Fascinating to say the least, but I still wonder how it all can help anyone catch fish seeing as how little is applied science : the discipline dealing with the art or science of applying scientific knowledge to practical problems along with resulting solutions that are reproducible.
    For instance, the article says to use color X under certain conditions. It doesn't address all the colors that also work under those conditions. I can think of a dozen for each example.

I figured you'd get that one in somewhere! LOL

Yet the simple fact is that blue is one color I never use to catch crappie, regardless of anyone's expertise and I've averaged over 50 fish of different species per outing all summer using a only few colors not mentioned. (BTW, black with glitter rarely shows off the glitter; the same for any opaque soft plastic color. This comes from a lure maker who has poured many colors and flake combinations and tried to get red glitter to flash in black without success.

I do appreciate the physics of color in various waters and at different depths which also begs the question: exactly what do fish see in stained water 12' down in early evening?!
    Water color filter plus low light = what color? If fish are supposed to feed on lures matching a color to a prey, what happens when the actual color appears gray under those conditions? Ditto for tannin stained water under a moonless night or even if a lantern is hung overboard where all fish see looking up is a dark underside - no color.

Every angler on this forum has his or her favorite or confidence colors which rarely disappoint. I have a small collection of colors I take and if my most preferred one doesn't seem to produce 1. at that time of day, 2. in that part of the lake, 3. under a sky that may change in the next hour, 4. using a certain presentation depending on cover and 5. and for a certain lure design ..... I change to another and flip a coin to decide which.

Color choice shouldn't be based on rocket science. It's pretty much a no-brainer for all species of predator fish that mostly strike lures according to the saying, action speaks louder than color (lure action and imparted action that is...)

But thanks again for the article. Most of it agrees with K. Jones' treatise on color - one I always keep handy before I .....flush.
    Come-on Spoon....The Blue is for CLEAR water....mine here is stained!
    But sometimes you still have to MATCH THE HATCH, no matter where you are!

I'm sure there are still unknowns....maybe UV light reaches the depths to illuminate the iridescence of baitfish...we do know that Flourescent colors don't fade or mute like regular colors.
    It is also a given that Chartreuse looks gold in stained water and baitfish all have a iridescent gold glow.

I agree that lure size, shape, texture, vibration, etc...and then presentation....have more to do with catching fish.
    IMHO, I would say that color is last on the list! Until you need to "Match the hatch"!
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 10-07-2015 at 09:46 PM.
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

To give credit where credit is due, much of the content in Intimidator's first post was originally published by Greg Vinall here: Exploding The Myths With Some Truths About Lure Color

I'm no attorney, but I believe excerpts are fine to post but credit does need to be given to the original author. Maybe a real attorney can chime in! I'm just trying to not get us in trouble. As they say "Safety First".
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes Minners N Jigs LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I've told folks for years colors are not near as important as most think but light and dark shades. That red line disappears theory I never bought into that but perfer clear line . Still feel fishing deep or dingy water a bigger bait that glows is better . Fish use lateral lines to detect movement and i see folks using salt and pepper ( clear with specks ) jigs catching fish in water that is not clear . A buddy of mine years ago that made Bass fishing lures said he painted his to catch fishermen not fish . His baits (big spinners for Bass) the leadheads were unpainted for his own use. Many folks want black or other dark colors when night fishing for Bass but I caught plenty on White at night .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    I've told folks for years colors are not near as important as most think but light and dark shades. That red line disappears theory I never bought into that but perfer clear line . Still feel fishing deep or dingy water a bigger bait that glows is better . Fish use lateral lines to detect movement and i see folks using salt and pepper ( clear with specks ) jigs catching fish in water that is not clear . A buddy of mine years ago that made Bass fishing lures said he painted his to catch fishermen not fish . His baits (big spinners for Bass) the leadheads were unpainted for his own use. Many folks want black or other dark colors when night fishing for Bass but I caught plenty on White at night .
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying BUT....At our lake, which is deep and fertile (which makes it stained), you can fish Any combination of Size, Shape, etc, Chartreuse, or other bright colors to catch fish....but there are certain periods, like when the craws first come back out, mayflies hatch, or the shad fry reaches 2 inches, that you better have a color that Matches the Hatch, or you are going home empty handed.

I also know that you can sit and catch Crappie all day long on minnows under a bobber...I am a HYPER person, that kind of fishing would kill me...I need to move, experiment, test, etc, to keep things interesting....also, what would I do in the Winter if I couldn't research, read, and learn more about fish and using fake baits!
    I have fished all the waters in Virginia, NC, SC, GA, FL, TN, KY, and OH....when I retire I want to hit all the other great Crappie Fisheries in the other Southern States and New England...It's interesting for me to learn the differences in everyone's "Home" lakes!

Good Fishing
    Brent
    Keitech USA Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that color is last on the list! Until you need to "Match the hatch"!
    I have to admit that I'm superstitious regarding color (and obviously so are you LOL). The range is small but my logic of color choice goes like this:
    1. small flakes that flash get their attention more than the color - a key quality of any initial lure attraction.
    2. the outline of a lure requires no color - clear plastic demonstrates a 3D image because of internal reflections of the environment. I've used clear plastic lures and caught fish. (what do they match?)
    3. translucent plastic with flakes allow flash and sparkle; opaque plastic rarely does
    4. opaque/solid colored plastic IMO is more effective as a bright hue or bright white.
    5. Pearl is medium white and in the same brightness category as translucent with flakes.
    6. natural colors are anything unnatural such as bright white or solid fluorescent hues and is defined by one's imagination (match the hatch). In my book, natural means nothing - visual qualities mean everything.
    7. I never use black unless the action tail is a bright color. Body color can be the same or different - it doesn't matter as long as lure profile and action are adequate.
    8. color is in the eye of the beholder - I see color above water different than fish do underwater and much of the time I have no idea what they're seeing except lure action, profile and speed. Color enhances and does not convince fish a lure is anything except an object to attack.
    9. on any give day, a large range of body and flake color combinations will work thereby making color quite easy to decide based on one's mood - like picking out a shirt color to wear. Fish color preference does not exist!
    10. I never use painted jigheads for the simple opinion that I want nothing to detract from the visual elements of my lure; I don't include the jighead ball as an object of focus or attraction.
    11. finally, what colors do I have confidence, excluding all others? :
    green pumpkin with chartreuse, gold and black flake (looks like a perch, as if that matters LOL)
    clear plastic with silver flake (silver or gold hologram is nice sometimes) (looks like a shiner - ditto the reason)
    bright white (looks like nothing that lives)
    pearl
    chartreuse with or without flakes, but black flakes are good internal contrast colors; silver or chartreuse flakes good flash colors
    fluorescent opaque colors - chartreuse; chartreuse tail/ bright pink body (for gay fish)
    dark body/ bright tail - one with flash or one that is opaque and/or bright)
    enhance shape or tail color with Spike-It dye

As usual, I always like what NIMROD says!
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 10-08-2015 at 08:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    To give credit where credit is due, much of the content in Intimidator's first post was originally published by Greg Vinall here: Exploding The Myths With Some Truths About Lure Color

I'm no attorney, but I believe excerpts are fine to post but credit does need to be given to the original author. Maybe a real attorney can chime in! I'm just trying to not get us in trouble. As they say "Safety First".
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on TV.

The link above does not show a copyright, but the bottom of the page has this:

"Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited."

Regardless, if you're gonna quote somebody, you should always cite the source.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast