Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why would subdued colors work better than bright solid colors in clear water?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why would subdued colors work better than bright solid colors in clear water?

The pond water I fished yesterday is clear down to 6' and holds pan fish and small pickerel / bass. I wanted to try some bass lures (skirted jigs, spinnerbait, crankbait) but no go. I went back to the minnow grub I pour starting with bright solid chartreuse and only pickerel bit (of course), but nothing else. I went back to muted colors: clear with silver hologram flakes and translucent green pumpkin with lime green and black flakes (pictured) and caught all species all day.

Normally I fish stained water visible only a foot down and every brightness works - subdued to florescent. Maybe it was the clear water under a bright sun after a cold front....?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes Slab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Natural colors work better in clear water for me most of the time. My guess is that in stained water you have to have the bright colors so the first can see it but that's just my best guess. Here's some I made for clear water Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1444137665729.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  26.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had better luck with colors that appeared more natural. It may be because that is what I have the most confidence in. But none the less that's what I catch more fish on.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

depending on certain factors ...one of those being water temp . and the other being clarity .....
    fish eye sight improves along with the distance they can see the item . the color you used is a favorite of mine for bass in clearer water found in ponds . and I have matched other colors in the past to the bait they are consuming in many cases as well .juvenile bluegill colors are sometimes the bomb in ponds as well
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Only the fish can tell you for sure. Everybody wants to keep their tackle simple,but if you fish long enough,in enough places,with a partner.And you both have a lot of tackle,and are in the habit of tying on anything in the box if the fish ain't biting.Well,let me tell you , the rules and guidelines don't always apply. I have seen a body water seem like the dead sea.Until somebody ties on just the right thing,and proceeds to load the boat. And if you don't have any, better hope your partners generous. Also seen it where a hot lure could almost dominate a lake for a year or two and that was about all you needed. And you will always have a top 4 or 5. But never get hung up on anything.

It's about color,profile,vibration,presentation,taste,smell and more.It's a puzzle you work out.You learn this stuff on bad days,when catchng is hard.

I break it down in to match the hatch (trying to match what they are feeding on)....neutral colors (not a lot of shock and awe)...and clown colors (bright and gaudy). I start with what I think they want....and work from there. Spinner or no? painted head or no? Spray scent or no? Nibble (95 percent yes)
    Likes INTIMIDATOR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cause the fish wanted what they wanted and did it to irritate you!!!!LOL Doesn't always work the way we want but you just have to plug along.
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Cause the fish wanted what they wanted and did it to irritate you!!!!LOL Doesn't always work the way we want but you just have to plug along.
    That's my guess...

But seriously, maybe the cold front and sudden drop in water temperature over the last two weeks from 75 down to 60 may have something to do with a change in behavior in this pond. I fished the above lure in another deeper larger lake and it was slow. Less than a dozen big sunfish, a few small bass, two crappie and a large fish(species?) that pulled me around until it dove into some deep heavy weeds. This lake is stained and has floating algae in certain areas; water temp also 60 degrees. Dead

A bright white or fluorescent color may have worked today - I'll never know.

It's about color, profile,vibration,presentation
    That I agree with, not much the rest. May try nibbles just for the H of it.

Post Thanks / Like

The cold front will shut them off in the spring but in the fall it's not as big of a deal, or in my home waters it doesn't bother them as bad. Last Friday we had some nasty weather and they still bit. They did hit funny but the action was fast.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When (and if) you reach my age, being on the water has lots more meaning that picking out baits.

It is easier for me to catch the fish that it is for me to get in the boat.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes RetiredRR, dfar, "G", PawPaw Gene, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It is easier for me to catch the fish that it is for me to get in the boat.
    At 67 I'm getting there! Drugs help - (as in prescription drugs! lol) As long as I can still drag my V bottom back up on the truck bed and stand & cast for seven hours, a little pain is negligible.
    Likes Marvin LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast