Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting eyes on jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default painting eyes on jig heads

How do yall paint the eyes on jig heads? I have tried several methods and can't find one I really like. May be my unsteady hand.

Thanks
    Jigster

Post Thanks / Like

I've done this just experimentaly, but as a rule I don't do it anymore. I haven't found that eyes make any difference one way or another. That's just my personal opinion.

However, if you are powder painting it's a pain in the back side, but you can do this. Take a paper plate or some small flat surface and pour out a little "pile" of powder paint. Heat your jighead up and then dab it in the pile of paint. Flip it over and do the other side. It takes some practice - and ruined heads - before you get the right size of eye and right shape.

What I have done in the past with powder painted heads already is use a water based paint and an eye dropper to dab the eyes on. After that though, you have to clear coat the head so that the water based paint will not come off. The technique is a lot easier this way. But the pain with this is having to go back and clear coat the heads.

All of this isn't worth it to me. Your mileage may vary. :D
    <--Click for Website

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Sharpie
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Jigster,
    When I did paint my own jigs I snipped the end off of a toothpick and used that for the eyes. It painted the perfect size eye. After snipping the end off, dab the snipped end in to your paint and then you can dot your eye.

Post Thanks / Like

I use bamboo skeweres, the large end does one section of the eye and I cut a bit off the pointed end for the pupil.
    I vary the color depending on the jighead. A white jighead I usually use read with the large end of the skewer, after it dries I put a dot with the smaller end. I usually use the acrylic that is for ceramic and glass and then after they dry a little tour in the oven at 325F
    About the same as Ragfly Jig Man suggested, cept I use bamboo.
    Sharpie sounds like a good suggestion for the pupil
    Roy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ragfly Jig Man
    Hello Jigster,
    When I did paint my own jigs I snipped the end off of a toothpick and used that for the eyes. It painted the perfect size eye. After snipping the end off, dab the snipped end in to your paint and then you can dot your eye.

Right on Ragfly Jig Man
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

i dont bother with it

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if the fishes ever notice the jig eyes? Seems like every video I have seen the fishes attack from the butt side. My observation.

Eyes look good though. I bought some stick on eyes. They stick to my table better than the jig. Wonder why?
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Easiest way to paint eye on jig heads is to use the end of a nail. The side you would hit with a hammer. Can use a larger size in white, let it dry, then use a finishing size or smaller size for black. If you hammer into a doll rod first it will make it easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the nail also. Most the time I have to look around the shop the see what is what is handy.

Gonefission
    Bill

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast