Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rods, length, brands

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rods, length, brands

I am real new to all of this and searched many threads, still greek. I am sure to get many different answers, but here goes. It is time to purchase that first crappie rod, straight over the boat jigging. What brand should I choose from, what brand to stay away from and how do you determine what length rod should you use.
    Thank you in advance.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You talking about one pole vertical jigging ??

If so, I'd recommend a 10-12' rod ... something along the lines of a Sam Heaton, Norsemen Outdoors ESP, or Huckabee rod. You'd want a sensitive tip (ie - fast action tip) with good backbone, yet light enough that you can hold it & fish with it for a good while without wearing yourself out. Balanced with a decent spinning reel, and you should be good to go.

Just stay away from fiberglass rods, or graphite rods that have a parabolic bend, and you should have a decent outfit that will serve you well & last you for many years to come.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I second the fast action, sensitive tip, good backbone and most of all good balance.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Heaton SS
    Likes Crestliner08, Dollfly LIKED above post

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't beat an Ozark 11' forward seat rod , lots of backbone but still real sensitive (graphite). I have used them about 4 years and never broke one . The reason I quit B-n-M poles was I kept breaking rods . All I do is verticle jig , about 200 days some years .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Likes Cardsfan55 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on the B n' M, Sam Heaton's Super Sensitive. I am using two of the 7' rods now and one of the 9'. Hard to beat these rods for any application. And at less than $50.00 at some outlets, you get a good ROI. Been using them for 7 or 8 seasons now.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far. I have to expand on what's been said so far. When we say balance I look for a rod that balances when I extend my index finger in front of the reel. I tend to move my hand in front of the reel so that I don't hold up any weight and thereby tiring the forearm. When the thump comes the rod seems to jump in my hand, and the tiniest touch is felt because I'm relaxed and comfortable. The bottom of my hand rests on the front of the reel seat and is in more direct contact with the blank thru the reel seat.
    Parabolic bend begins immediately in front of the grip or handle, and continues all the way to the tip. I find a good fish or surprise LMB or catfish very difficult to control with these type of rod. Let me also say that everyone has their preferences and some like these rods as they have been around for a very long time. I look for a light fast action that has good backbone in the lower 1/2 to 2/3 of the rod. Not broomstick but firm without being rigid. The tip is where we generate the ability to cast a tiny jig. The bend in the rod that develops on the forward stroke of the cast is called loading the rod. If the tip is too firm then you can't load the rod which flings the jig further when it releases the stored energy. When you go to a Bass Pro Shop or other bigger store that carries a good selection of St. Croix rods look up a 6lf or a 66lf. To my preferences this rod has a lot of things going for it, and will give a good example of what I'm talking about.
    Not trying to be a know it all but when you go look at rods at a big store it can be overwhelming. There are so many to choose from. What is listed as a medium action by one manufacturer will be very different form another. My suggestion; buy a rod that is comfortable for you and do your best to feel the different rods before you buy. You may get it right the first time but maybe not. I didn't and have lots of rods to show for it. Most of mine have their place in the boat but it might not be very often. For what you have said you want to do I believe that the 9' Sam Heaton would do very well. I have a lot of the BGJP's (Bucks Graphite Jig Pole) in 8, 10, and 12'. Most of my rods do double or triple duty for different techniques. Mine troll, jig , and spider rig, but have their limitations too.
    Good luck with it, sorry if I rambled too much, and let us know what you decide and why. We all teach one another.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes theygotaeat, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Duke, southern crappie rods, has anything you need, and you cant go wrong.
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ill second skeetbum on the BGJP, that was my first crappie rod. Paired it with a Pflueger 6930 reel, nice rod for crappie that can handle the suprise bass too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast