Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Report; 10/4/15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Report; 10/4/15

The Quabbin will be closing in two weeks, so Walt & I had to get out for some crappie fishing today. Launching this morning at 8:15 am was COLD! Air temp was only 48 degrees, with the water temp at 58 degrees and dropping steadily. Stiff NE wind at about 15 mph kept things on the cool side for most of the day. Wind was inconsistent at best. Steadiest breeze was the first hour or so of fishing, when we chalked up two doubles and one treble, tallying 25 crappie caught & released in that first hour! We pulled off at 1:30 pm and the temp was only up to 57 degrees in the parking lot! Winter is knocking at the door!

We had a pretty decent morning out there today: 75 crappie and one bluegill. All were caught drifting two rigs each with 1/8 & 1/16 oz. jigs dressed with straight tails and Slider Crappie Grubs (paddle tails). I also caught some nice fish on the 1/16 oz. marabou horseheads. Hopefully we'll be able to get up there a time or two more before Quabbin shuts down on Oct. 17 (my 45th. wedding anniversary! ). Leaves are turning fast now and the nights are getting cold....down in the 30's & 40's. Won't be long now - UGH!

Here are a couple of our better fish, starting with mine:

Name:  Rich_1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  Rich_2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  105.2 KB

And a couple of Walt's fish:

Name:  Walt_3.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  Walt_4.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  149.1 KB

Once again, no giants. The biggest probably around a pound and a half at best. This place is known to produce some 2+ pound fish from time to time. We just haven't connected with those beauties - yet!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Always enjoy your post's and pix. Good going guys.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both