PDA

View Full Version : What kind of bobber do u use?

Crappie Wisdom
01-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Thought it would be cool to see what kind of bobber everyone likes best. Me used to fish with the oval shaped kind. Then found out the pencil floats works best for crappie. At least for me. ;)

Post your bobbers here and why u like to use them?

Jerry Blake
01-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Thill 1/2-inch Pencil Style Slip-Floats here.

bluegilln
01-16-2007, 10:07 AM
I am a big fan of the Wing-it bobbers. I also fish with Thill center sliders.

Chris

TapOut64
01-16-2007, 11:02 AM
When I was a kid my Dad used a bobber that he really loved. We called it a torpedo bobber. The top half was white with thick red lines going around it, the bottom half was green. It had a clip around the middle and bottom. It would lay flat in the water with the right split shot on it. The smallest bite would make it stand up. I used to love watching it's white tip disappear beneath the water. It was probably around 6" long. Havn't seen one since the early 80's but it was a great bobber.

crappiekid24
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I use thill slip floats of different sizes.

Ragfly Jig Man
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
I also use the pencil floats for crappie fishing.

painterfish
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
picked up a couple mr crappie betts twist on twist off slip bobbers if your all thumbs and lazy to boot thats the way to go

Bridges
01-16-2007, 02:09 PM
comals slip bobbers here

deathb4disco
01-16-2007, 06:18 PM
waggler for casting:

http://www.fishing4fun.co.uk/tackle/waggler.shtml

pole floats for fishing in close with lighter baits:

http://www.floatsonline.com/premier_pole_floats.html

robbor
01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
For depth to about 8' i usa a thill mini stealth-usually the MS-2

Songdog
01-17-2007, 12:51 AM
I use slip floats mostly also use pencil floats

Tommy Tidwell
01-17-2007, 03:09 AM
I use the small Wing-it slip bobber with 1/16 oz jig below it.

roybuoy
01-17-2007, 07:26 AM
When I use one it is a pencil slip float.

deputyking
01-17-2007, 07:33 AM
I use the Thill 1/2-inch Pencil Style Slip-Floats. I try to size the float, lead, or/or jig to where the float will barely float the minnow or jig.

Minnerman
01-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Thill Gold Medal Series
American's premier balsa floats! Natural presentation, extreme sensitivity and faster hooksets. Center Slider
Great for vertical jigging. Does not drag through the water on a bite or hookset. 3 Pack.

Replacement silicone sleeves sold separately and can be found through item number search at item number #38-440-437-00

Number Description Size
38-440-340-00 CS1-3 3-3/8" 3/16 OZ
38-440-342-00 CS3-3 4-3/8"

Bushrod
01-17-2007, 10:36 AM
...an interesting question...it's educating to see how many anglers use differing floats...the bottom line is to reduce the surface tension on the bobber by as much as possible, in order to lower the "drag" the fish feels when it bites, as well as improve the "sensitivity", so you can see that lite bite...with that in mind, the smallest diameter bobber usable would be the one to select...I have to laff every time I go to Wally World and stroll the fishing tackle aisle...so many of those so-called "bobbers" wouldn't be useful to serious fishermen...in fact, a lotta tackle (even at BPS) is designed to catch anglers...not fish...personally, I use the torpedo-shaped slip bobbers, with just enuff weight to make it stand up vertically, thereby reducing the surface tension significantly....

Bushrod

CrappiePappy
01-17-2007, 10:48 AM
When I was a kid my Dad used a bobber that he really loved. We called it a torpedo bobber. The top half was white with thick red lines going around it, the bottom half was green. It had a clip around the middle and bottom. It would lay flat in the water with the right split shot on it. The smallest bite would make it stand up. I used to love watching it's white tip disappear beneath the water. It was probably around 6" long. Havn't seen one since the early 80's but it was a great bobber.

You talkin 'bout one of these dudes :confused: :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/bobber.jpg

I haven't used it, yet ..... found it in my late stepdads tacklebox :D

I use all kinds of "bobbers/floats" .... short/fat & long/skinny styrofoam ones, Thill slip floats, Mr Crappie "Popper" & "Rattlin" bobbers, the plastic ones that clip on (various sizes), and even the balsa ones that have a notch/spring line holder setup. I just don't use any of them very often .... occasionally with minners, and sparingly for FnF fishing. I've only "bought" the Mr Crappie Rattlin Bobbers .... the rest I've either found floating in the lake, hanging in a tree limb, washed up along the lake bank, or taken from my stepdads tacklebox :eek: :D ............ cp :cool:

DemolitionMan
01-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Bridges,

What's a comals slip bobber????DemoMan

TapOut64
01-17-2007, 03:03 PM
You talkin 'bout one of these dudes :confused: :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/bobber.jpg

I haven't used it, yet ..... found it in my late stepdads tacklebox :D

I use all kinds of "bobbers/floats" .... short/fat & long/skinny styrofoam ones, Thill slip floats, Mr Crappie "Popper" & "Rattlin" bobbers, the plastic ones that clip on (various sizes), and even the balsa ones that have a notch/spring line holder setup. I just don't use any of them very often .... occasionally with minners, and sparingly for FnF fishing. I've only "bought" the Mr Crappie Rattlin Bobbers .... the rest I've either found floating in the lake, hanging in a tree limb, washed up along the lake bank, or taken from my stepdads tacklebox :eek: :D ............ cp :cool:

Wow, that's it. Havn't seen one of them in years. I kinda figured that someone on this forum would of seen one. The one my Dad used were around 6" long, we did find a shorter version but even that was many years ago. Man, that pic sure brings back memories, thanks for posting it.

kincade
01-17-2007, 04:23 PM
Slip floats for me....

creekslick
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I use turkey feather quills that I have fixed to work as a slip float. Is easier to just buy floats but I sure like to watch that quill sink.

beagledogxxx
01-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Any good slip float...thill, wingit, etc. Metal hook spring type bobbers scare me.:eek:

Crappie Wisdom
01-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Trill floats interest me are they really worth the extra money? Please explain the advantages this float has over others? Thanks for any info.

FishCrazy
01-18-2007, 01:16 PM
I like the thill floats myself. The balsa wood seems to hold up well and I can weight them such that they show a soft bite well also. Their shape cast well also. I primarily use the larger ones because I can add more weight which allows for farther cast. If I were fishing from a boat I would use the pencil ones I think. I have taken the thill ones I use and cliped the top off to expose the plastic opening so the line feeds through it more readily I hope. I have found the small hole makes the bober travel on the water toward the line when it is pulling the jig down through it. It can move quite a ways when you are fishing 20 foot deep and thats normally back toward shore.

bobberdown
01-18-2007, 04:01 PM
I like these They are easy to put on without taking the bait off and easy to adjust to depth.
http://www.secretbait.com/ezcf_pack.jpeg

bpm2000
01-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I like these They are easy to put on without taking the bait off and easy to adjust to depth.
http://www.secretbait.com/ezcf_pack.jpeg

can you exaplin how these work? do they slip? Are they fixed? I dont really get it :)

jhaiken
01-18-2007, 07:24 PM
can you exaplin how these work? do they slip? Are they fixed? I dont really get it :)

Yea I dont understand how you cast out a bobber and then be able to lower the line up and down as needed?:confused:

bobberdown
01-18-2007, 07:32 PM
The bobbers are split where when you pull the two pins in them and insert your line and adjust it then put the pens back in, the line is held in place and to adjust the depth just pull on the float and it will slip to the depth you want.

jhaiken
01-18-2007, 07:36 PM
The bobbers are split where when you pull the two pins in them and insert your line and adjust it then put the pens back in, the line is held in place and to adjust the depth just pull on the float and it will slip to the depth you want.

Yea I get that. What about slip bobbers where you can actually jig the line up and down? Dont the fish get spooked by the bobber splashing around on the surface?

Jerry Blake
01-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Yea I dont understand how you cast out a bobber and then be able to lower the line up and down as needed?:confused:

I use Thill Bobber Stops with my slip float rigs - http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=56368. We put them up the line from the hook the same distance as the depth we want to fish by measuring with our 10-foot jig poles. Then let the line down until the bobber stop is down to the float.

We're fishing right over the condo so we don't have to cast. With the right amount of weight - one #3/0 and one #7 split shot - just the top of the float is sticking out of the water and there is very little resistance from the float when a crappie starts to pull it under.

I think the pencil style also moves through the water with less resistance than a round or oval type. To me the Styrofoam floats have too much buoyancy and the don't hold up well. I use the Thill floats for 6-months or so fishing nearly every day before I have to replace them when they start loosing some buoyancy.

titleman
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
Here's a different type...

I use wine corks! Now before you start the jokes, let me explain. If I am long pole jigging under 10 feet, I prefer my "doctored" wine corks because they are quiet, low resistance, will lay over if the fish brings the bait up AND they will slide down to the hook when hung up.

Here's what I do. Lay a wine cork on it's side. With a knife, cut it twice (making three equal size bobbers). Take one of the pieces and position it on its rounded side and drill (with a power drill) a small hole through the rounded part. If you drill through the flat (cut) part, you just messed up! Ream the hole out enough that even my old eyes can get line through it. Your finished, unless you want to spray paint for visability.

When you run the line through the cork, Break off a wooden toothpick in the hole to hold the line. Make sure the toothpick is holding the line, but loose enough to let you "run" the cork down to your hook if hung up.

When fished, the rounded sides will be vertical. If the bobber floats on it's flat side, you are on the bottom. If it goes to the flat side when fished, a fish has brought your bait up.

The main advantage to this bobber over others is how easily you can run a long pole down to a hang up.

Now the wine jokes can start!

Titleman

Minnerman
01-18-2007, 09:35 PM
The black pegs have holes in them to be used as a slip cork as well. Just run your line thru both pegs and then use a bobber stopper to control your depth. I used to use these til I tried the thills. Now I dont like these at all.

JohnR
01-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I only use the Thill Center Slider floats. Costs a little more than a cheapo float, but it's worth it.

pb crappie
01-19-2007, 04:11 AM
1" weighted. Throw 2 1/16 oz. jigs tied 10" apart.

willsjwills
01-19-2007, 06:17 AM
hey Pappy. Would you have one of those porcupine quills in your stepdad's tackle box? That's all my grand-dad would let us use when I was growing up.:) :)

CrappiePappy
01-19-2007, 08:52 AM
hey Pappy. Would you have one of those porcupine quills in your stepdad's tackle box? That's all my grand-dad would let us use when I was growing up.:) :)

Sorry, no ... don't think I ever saw a quill in any of his tackle (Mom still has all of it, it's not in my possession :) ). But, I do remember seeing a quill "float", many years ago ... just can't remember if it was in my grandpa's fishing stuff, or someone else's.
Most of my early years of fishing were spent tightline fishing with minnows and casting jigs & spinners, mostly for Crappie and White Bass. Never really developed a "need" for bobbers/floats, until I started going to Barkley Lake back in the 70's ... Crappie fishing the "buck brush" with minnows, using 12ft fiberglass "cane poles" and/or spinning outfits. Even then, we used styrofoam slip floats ... which is what I tend to use nowadays, more often than not.
Even though I've got more "floats/bobbers" than I could ever hope to need ... I still can't pass up picking one up, out of the water or off a tree limb :p And I've found most every kind of them one could imagine .... from "fly corks" (plastic bobbers about the size of your pinkie fingernail) to "YoBobs" (those big honkin jobs mostly used for catfishing) :D The only ones I don't bother retrieving from the water/trees, are the balsa spring loaded ones .... and the "YoBob" sized ones. Got little use for either of those. ... cp :cool:

Smilefull
03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Do you guys know where I can buy some african porcupine quills? I want to make my own floats.

Smilefull
03-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Oh sorry nevermind, I found some on a website. www.dogmeier.com/africanporcupinequills.html They're really cheap, like 90c/quill.

Cane Pole
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
3 for a George. I buy 'em by the gobs. I got teenage grandkids that think these floats come from my stool chute.