Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane whats its name.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hurricane whats its name.

well can't spell it but its forecast to nail us right now. just what we need.made it through isabelle. figure I can make it through this one. Just memories of Isabelle make me remember that I really don't want to live through that hell again. planning on riding it out so starting prep tomorrow. Here is a list to start. please add on to build list if You see fit.

Batteries (all sizes)
    bread
    water
    candles
    wash clothes
    check generator
    get chainsaws ready
    secure lawn stuff
    clean gutters
    take pics of inside home belongings
    make sure titles and other precious belongings are in a fire box/safe etc...

Please add on. hopefully this will all be for nothing.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good start. I went and restocked on two weeks of nonperishable food, still need to get some gas bottles for the camp stove. Checked FEMA flood maps Cat 2 puts water within 2' of yard elevation, house is 2' above that, Cat 3 there is no where in Norfolk above water. So if it gets that bad it's been nice knowing you Ed!

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You guys be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    well can't spell it but its forecast to nail us right now. just what we need.made it through isabelle. figure I can make it through this one. Just memories of Isabelle make me remember that I really don't want to live through that hell again. planning on riding it out so starting prep tomorrow. Here is a list to start. please add on to build list if You see fit.

Batteries (all sizes)
    bread
    water
    candles
    wash clothes
    check generator
    get chainsaws ready
    secure lawn stuff
    clean gutters
    take pics of inside home belongings
    make sure titles and other precious belongings are in a fire box/safe etc...

Please add on. hopefully this will all be for nothing.CF
    ...Insurance agent contact information REAL handy.

When the claims start flying, it is good to be up at the front of the line. I live near the shore of the Lafayette River, and have made a couple of claims already--Isabelle and Sandy were the last two. At least I have a generator, and a boat. That is pretty much fat-catting it in a flood...

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Ed - you probably have large storage tanks for gasoline, diesel, and propane, but for everyone else, today's a good time to top everything off. If you have an old jon boat that's not used regularly, consider parking it out in the rain with the drain plug in place--you can flush toilets without electricity, but not without a good supply of water. By the time the heavy winds arrive, there will be enough rain in it to keep it from blowing away.

Scrub out your best coolers, jugs, and other storage containers & fill now with nice clean drinking water. Officials recommend 2 gal. per person per day. If you have a "pour through" coffee maker & can boil water on a camp stove, gas grill, etc., be sure you have filters, coffee, and a thermos. This is no time to be without hot coffee!

Back up your desktop computer(s) now. If there are extended power outages, you may want what's on the desktop's hard drive. Isabel knocked out my power for 11 days. I had a laptop, but forgot to copy the files off the desktop.

Anyone who's surrounded by trees should consider moving your boat and vehicles to a nearby large tree-free parking lot until the wind subsides. If you need additional encouragement, I'll try to find my Isabel pictures of the 100-year-old oak tree that totaled my daughter's car. Yes, I urged her to move the car well in advance, but naturally she knew better than dad.

During the Isabel disaster:
    - Rain beat in around north-facing doors and windows. Duct tape them (on the outside, preferably) before the horizontal rain begins.
    - Stores had no power to ring cash registers and operate authorization systems. Cash, however, was welcome and merchants tried to open one way or another. Drop by the bank today & get several hundred dollars (small unmarked bills.)
    - There were lots of free-lancers riding around looking for cleanup jobs. If you anticipate heavy tree damage and will need to engage one of these guys, add to your cash supply now.
    - Neighborhood streets and some roads were impassable for days. If you need it, get it now.
    - Power lines were down (and some were hot) wherever there was overhead service and trees.
    - Good old-fashioned rotary dial telephones never stopped working!
    - Dirty dishes and clothes were MUCH HARDER to clean when the power was out. Take care of these chores tonight. Now's the time to stock up on disposable plates, bowls, cups, and eating utensils. You'll use them for next year's picnics if Joaquin goes elsewhere.
    - Listening to the radio 24/7 got old fast. It was a good time for jigsaw puzzles, board games, cards, and other non-electronic forms of entertainment.
    - Food that didn't require refrigeration was very handy. In addition to canned items, pick up fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, and anything else that can be stored without taking up cooler space.

If you think there's any possibility you will be ordered or urged to evacuate, start preparing now. Pack light and look at it like a camping trip. You may need to live in your car for a short period. Plan to shut your home down and secure things as if you will be away for months. That includes shutting off gas, electricity, and water at the source of supply.
    Likes Idunno, brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That about covers it all Corker, worth a print and save!

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Either or both of you guys throw your junk in the truck and head west. I got room for you. We are 100 miles inland. Power lines are under ground. Got natural gas for hot water. 5 pounds of Braches candy corn to share.

That goes for any of you guys and your family. Put the clan in the vehicle and come. We got room.
    Likes REDBOAT, Idunno, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like this will stay East. But we're still gonna get lots of rain

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690 View Post
    Either or both of you guys throw your junk in the truck and head west. I got room for you. We are 100 miles inland. Power lines are under ground. Got natural gas for hot water. 5 pounds of Braches candy corn to share.

That goes for any of you guys and your family. Put the clan in the vehicle and come. We got room.
    I too offer the same as Daton to anyone that needs shelter, I have plenty of room for 2 to 4 people.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a 10 sec video of my daughter throwing a ball for the dog on the street during high tide...what street?:
    https://www.facebook.com/justcarsonc...3204487616194/

Here are some pics from Friday and Saturday's high tides...stay tuned for Sunday's high tide--it is supposed to be 3 to 4 inches higher!

Name:  12087791_10153205976186194_6133712642491403821_o.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  56.3 KBName:  12052374_10153205977076194_5411985361456014525_o.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  47.8 KBName:  12091462_10153205976651194_2185312363505830191_o.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  61.3 KBName:  12132408_10153205994746194_5517397636061693919_o.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  55.9 KBName:  12119036_10153204569171194_514706416825099795_n.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  47.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast