Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 strongest knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default 4 strongest knots

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass/where-fish/2009/02/strongest-fishing-knots
    Last edited by gone fission; 09-30-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

if you read down you find that he comments about the knot percentage strength varies with the line brand.I have found that it varies with the line brand,the eye type and size its tied to,and the line size within brands. That's why it does help to test a typical setup that your fishing with. It doesn't take anything more than your fish scale to get a pretty accurate reading.

disclaimer: I am not a professional anything. I am talking just like in a tackle shop or coffee shop as a form of recreation. But I'm not in the habit of telling whoppers anymore than any other fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sticking with the uni knot.

I was reading a saltwater fishing mag recently, and they did their own knot test for both mono and braid. For mono, a very complicated knot that I had never heard of before came in first. What was a very close second? The uni knot. For braided line, the palomar finished first, but the uni was only slightly behind it.

That being said, almost any knot you can tie quickly will work fine for crappie.
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    ...That being said, almost any knot you can tie quickly will work fine for crappie.
    Ditto for fresh water - salt water a different story.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    if you read down you find ...
    ... this little gem:

"For these tests, I used Sufix Siege 8-pound-test mono. Contrary to what the label says, the unknotted breaking strength of this line tested at 12.47 pounds."

I think this is pretty typical. The label on the spool significantly understates the strength of the line.

Post Thanks / Like

When you get older the eyes don't see good and the old hands seem to shake more and more and you will use the Palomar knot and also waste a lot of extra line trimming the end off because the loop you make will even get bigger making the tag end longer. But I would have thought that the double line around the hook eye would have made the Palomar knot stronger.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes dfar, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    When you get older the eyes don't see good and the old hands seem to shake more and more and you will use the Palomar knot and also waste a lot of extra line trimming the end off because the loop you make will even get bigger making the tag end longer. But I would have thought that the double line around the hook eye would have made the Palomar knot stronger.

That is why I gave all that flourocarbon line away. Fore long I am gonna have to use some of that 150 lb snaggin line.
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scrat, when tying the Palomar knot, have the tag end close to the eye of the hook as you pull the overhand knot tight. Then after you pass the lure through the loop to complete the knot, pull on the running line to remove all the slack and not the tag end. Pull it almost tight then grab the tag end and give it a tug to straighten the knot. Finish up by pulling the running line. The tag end you will clip will only be about 1/2 to 1 inch long. Very little waste.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes scrat, dfar, skeetbum LIKED above post

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of good knots that test well but are just too much of a pain for impatient self to deal with. A few years back I made a video on youtube called "crappie double rig with wooly bugger". In that video I show a knot that I call the old mans knot for a couple of reasons. It's very easy to tie without my glasses on and it holds as well with braid or mono. The only time I have one come out is when I hurry and don't snug the knot before I trim. Several of my friends use it and like it fine, maybe you will too. You might even know it's proper name. The palomar and uni both work well also, everything in it's right place.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes scrat, knuclebuster LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I am an "improved clinch knot guy" and have been for fresh water fishing for many years with no problems. I don't see any reason to change what's working. There were times I experimented with other synthetic lines and in salt water rigging where the improved clinch would not hold; but I have always gone back to the mono line and the improved clinch in fresh water. Five twists and back through the loop (from the opposite side); cinch it up tight; and clip the tag end with the always handy finger nail clippers. Oh yeah, and easy on these old failing eyes too.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes scrat, dfar LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast