Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who likes to ketch crappie from the bank .......?

Post Thanks / Like

Default who likes to ketch crappie from the bank .......?

year round ?
    I love to pursue these fish from the bank myself ....
    now mind ya I have a lil 10 john boat I paddle roun
    and a 13 ft Boston whaler with 40 zebras for big water ,,,,,,
    and of course I have electronics on the boats
    but I still love a chance to hammer lips from the bank....
    have several spots day and night I like ...one is the river in down town ft worth
    sometimes when I got a clue I ketch a few .....
    today was a nice day to stop ...
    I landed 8 nice fish in 30 minutes
    and lost a few others .....
    always release fish down there anyway so no biggie ...LOL
    jigs and floats work wonders if you have proper equipment
    I aint using the best or the cheapest ,,,,,
    the set up i used today is about 150 bux .....but it slams lips nicely
    if you all want more information just ask .....
    I will give you the straight skinny .....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes armyman, RetiredRR, theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You have a fine fishery there! Welcome to Crappie.com.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to crappie.com I also love bank fishing for crappie and Bluegill. These are my "Weapons of Destruction."

Name:  Basic Rig.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  43.6 KB

Name:  Fishing Bank Worm Farm.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  83.7 KB
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes Ross Clark LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Ketchn!
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, my favorite way to catch em too.

Post Thanks / Like

Love crappie fishing whether from bank or boat! We have a small lake close by that early spring and late fall is a blast. We get the kids together and head there, its nothing to catch 100 from bank. Throw most back take some home and let kids eat their catch!! They always ask when we going fishing? And that's what it's all about!!! Floats, jigs, minnows or anything in between them kids love it!
    Always wear your PFD my sonar sucks!!!
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown Ft. Worth? In the Trinity? Throw backs?
    Have fished there many years ago, for gigantic gar, for the fun of it.
    In the Trinity River.
    I didn't keep any crappies from there due to the high mercury levels in the fish.
    Was wondering if anything had changed in the mercury levels and is that why you throw 'em back. Healthy looking crappies you caught.
    I've wondered about launching my kayak just off University Drive next to the golf course 'cause it looks crappie down there.
    Bet there is still some giant gar in that area too.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

I hit that spot on the west fork and sometimes the clear fork on my lunch breaks . the river has consumption warnings in it in several locations near downtown . I don't keep fish most of the time anyway and let most go back to what they were doing before I messed with them .
    I use a fixed or pinch on Thill float and a 1/16 or tandem 1/32 jigheads most of the time . sometimes I use a 1/16 roadrunner with a GOGO minnow on it and sometimes I free pitch a 1/32 as well . Thermocline lures lil fry is a favorite of mine on plastics as well .
    the REALLY big telephone pole size alligator gar seem to be gone in the areas I hit these days . there are still some big longnose gar in there though . there are some decent black bass in there at times and of course catfish as well . once in a while I get slammed and get my tackle broke off by the non crappie fish ....they do keep it interesting for sure . set my reel on fire a few times I have and sometimes I win but a lot of times they wrap me and break me off .
    the interesting part of the river is they keep you guessing if you are on the bank and the spots that look the best a lot of the time hold nothing in the way of crappie . the brim are loaded up in there in most spots as well .
    the good news down there is that its a river and even though it gets lots of pressure in the area I hit there are fish there thru most of the year. from about Nov. to March though they migrate off to parts unknown to me . I know they follow the bait and I think they go shallow downstream in the winter but after a few years of trying to figure out where and how to get to them from the bank I stopped looking for them .
    one thing for certain , they are sometimes quite a challenge in there off the bank . I have threatened to assault them from my john boat down there once or twice but I still stand on the bank and pitch my jigs at em . I do know one thing , large crappie are hard to land from far away and actually get in your hand when you are on a 45 degree angled bank . lost a many I wanted to get a photo of down there for sure
    but sometimes I win and they get hoisted for a photo .....
    Likes theygotaeat LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

how do you work the jig under the float?
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Born2fizh View Post
    how do you work the jig under the float?
    I try a lot of different types of presentations from the bank under a float ....sometimes I drag it real slowly ,,,,sometimes kinda fast ....
    sometimes I let it sit a lot and slightly twitch it ....sometimes I pop it like a popping cork very hard and work it fast .....
    I let the fish tell what they want ....same on the depth .....
    if 4 foot under the float don't get bit ....I go deeper and or shallower depending on what I think they are up to .....
    and I almost 100% use a pinch on .....its much more sensitive to a very light bite than a slip float I promise
    and the extra BIG plus is that if you keep youre slack line tended up well .....
    and you have a sensitive fairly stiff rod you will feel bites WAY before you see em in many cases .....
    my buds alway say you dint even get bit and set the hook ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast